Exchanged Your Iphone? New one Better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mechinyun, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

I got horrible signal drops from holding it any which way. Thinking of exchanging it for a different one. But its just a hassle... for the people who have exchanged yours for a new one.. did you get a better one with no problems?

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Its COMPLETELY hit and miss.

3. Stankonia macrumors regular

I exchanged mine because of battery issues and the new one is much better. The first phone would lose its entire charge overnight and my replacement has been going for 2 days now. The only problem with the replacement is that I have the green blob problem with the camera, but that probably existed with the first one and I didn't notice.

Neither has had the signal issue, luckily.

4. Andru1313 macrumors regular

I got a new one. Camera is better but Proximity sensor is worse. So IDK still same reception issues..

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I got a replacement and the reception is just as bad.

6. Macuser1066 macrumors member

Didn't have an antenna problem or proximity sensor, but had really bad white balance problem with the camera. TOOk it in yesterday and no problem with exchange. Didn't get any further problem with new phone and it does have a better white balance with the new phone.

7. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

My 3rd has been fantastic.

My first two had really bad battery and overheating issues.

8. xraytech macrumors 68030

Had mine replaced because of a dead LED in the upper Left hand corner.

As for replacing it because of reception issues. You'll be swapping iPhones till the cows come home. It's a design flaw not a factory defect. So what you get is what you get.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

It definitely is hit or miss.

I just replaced my iphone (2nd time) this morning. Reception is still the same (until I place my feather case on it, then full bars) but overall, the construction seems better. I noticed my last one had glue/gunk in between the metal frame and plastic on the sides and it came with a couple light scratches to the left of the home button and had dust/lint under the camera lens on the back. This one appears to be almost flawless. The phone I returned was a week 24 and the one I got was a week 26. Don't know if that matters.

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

The replacement I got has a serious yellow images. I didn't even know there was a problem with yellow images w/ the camera until I got it and noticed that everything looked significantly yellower. I'm usuallly not that picky, but this one is getting to me.

11. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Mine had a bad battery (losing charge overnight). New one is MUCH better. I don't know about reception as I use bluetooth and don't have a problem. Not sure about the camera as I need to test it out still.

12. Mechinyun thread starter macrumors 6502

13. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

Many of mine have this issue as well.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

15. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I mapped up a circuit around my hometown. It basically covered every major street/intersection that I would be traveling daily for a variety of reasons. During this circuit, I turned WiFi completely off and did some reception testing. Unfortunately 90% of the time I only had to lay my thumb on the black bar on the bottom-left corner and the signal dropped to nothing. A lot of times I also had 3G AND EDGE disappear on me.

Point of this whole thing was to prep myself of first hand knowledge when I go see my Genius on Monday. My only fear is that I will not be able to replicate this issue (or the proximity sensor issues I've been having, for that matter) to him and he will not offer me an exchange.

Anyone else that's had this issue? Are they at least understanding or am I going to be quite frustrated with my first trip into an Apple Store?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated also.

16. SailorMike macrumors member

Exchanged mine and it made a big difference. I was having reception problems that seemed to be beyond the corner of death. I would drop calls when it was just sitting on a table without anyone touching it.

The new one works great.

17. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I feel that every time Apple sells an iPhone or iPod touch, they're selling two (at least) for the price of one. My 3G that I bought used was replaced AT LEAST twice, and my iPod touch was replaced once. I know refurbs don't cost as much, but it's still quite a lot.

18. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Played around with my swapped phone and it seems a bit zippier and quicker. Speaker seems louder and crisper as well. GPS locks location in under a second. Unfortunately, every phone I've had has had a dust issue. I'll just live with it since my latest one runs a lot smoother than my previous i4's that I swapped out for some reason.

19. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

My first one had a yellow line across the screen. The second one has a couple dead pixels (or dust) that are obvious and distracting.