iPhone X Exchanges

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Hi, bit of a general question to iPhone users on here, how many of you have had numerous exchanges and found a unit they are happy with and how many have given up and live with a slight imperfection?

Reading through the forum I see many users have exchanged and swapped issues for other issues, I have exchanged once at an apple store and swapped sharp edges for a sim tray that doesn’t sit 100% flush, I have booked a genius appointment but there’s a possibility that I can’t get a replacement or if I do the replacement may have an issue.

Last edited:

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
My personal experience with X was not that lucky. I had my first one exchanged to brand new due to several problems like scratched casing, popping sound from the casing, bad battery and horrible display uniformity (screen had noticeable different hue between upper and lower portion) etc. My second one had pretty decent display (not 100% good but acceptable, except considering the price of this unit but that's what I guess is just extra you have to pay for Apple brand) but this one is very slightly bent, it had couple dents in the steel rim where space gray colour had zipped off, sim tray is not completely flush (it actually feels like it is slightly too deep in one side or seam between tray and chassis is little rough), still rather weak battery and something else I cannot remember right now.

Anyway, I decided to keep this unit because I'm not that lucky usually and since this one had acceptable screen and I'm keeping it in the leather case those imperfections are hidden, plus my dealer compensated these faults by giving small refund.

However, another family member bought also X at the same time as I from the same store and that one was problem free in every way. It is silver colour and from the different factory than my both. That is 100% good in every way. It has excellent screen and I'm very picky when it comes to display devices and I can honestly say it is excellent, much better than in my current one. Also no imperfections in casing at all and battery is incredibly good and it has not weakened at all in 3-4 months even it has been abused since person using this often forgets to charge it and battery has gone very low for many times but no damage from that and this phone can easily last 1-2 days longer between charges than mine, even I have babied my battery from the start, it keeps weakening.

So, I guess you need to ask yourself do you feel lucky? Are those two things the only problems in those units and they were otherwise perfect? If answer is yes, I'd say you were lucky twice already. I say consider this a little like playing Russian roulette. :)
From what factory yours are? You see that from the first two letters of the serial number.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Back in late 2012 when the iPhone 5 launched there were several people who wouldn't accept Scuffgate. Stories of 5 exchanges or more were common.

There was one person who was eventually stopped by Apple store staff after having gone through 10 open boxes of brand new iPhone 5's in-store. He still didn't get one he 'wanted'.

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
My personal experience with X was not that lucky. I had my first one exchanged to brand new due to several problems like scratched casing, popping sound from the casing, bad battery and horrible display uniformity (screen had noticeable different hue between upper and lower portion) etc. My second one had pretty decent display (not 100% good but acceptable, except considering the price of this unit but that's what I guess is just extra you have to pay for Apple brand) but this one is very slightly bent, it had couple dents in the steel rim where space gray colour had zipped off, sim tray is not completely flush (it actually feels like it is slightly too deep in one side or seam between tray and chassis is little rough), still rather weak battery and something else I cannot remember right now.

Anyway, I decided to keep this unit because I'm not that lucky usually and since this one had acceptable screen and I'm keeping it in the leather case those imperfections are hidden, plus my dealer compensated these faults by giving small refund.

However, another family member bought also X at the same time as I from the same store and that one was problem free in every way. It is silver colour and from the different factory than my both. That is 100% good in every way. It has excellent screen and I'm very picky when it comes to display devices and I can honestly say it is excellent, much better than in my current one. Also no imperfections in casing at all and battery is incredibly good and it has not weakened at all in 3-4 months even it has been abused since person using this often forgets to charge it and battery has gone very low for many times but no damage from that and this phone can easily last 1-2 days longer between charges than mine, even I have babied my battery from the start, it keeps weakening.

So, I guess you need to ask yourself do you feel lucky? Are those two things the only problems in those units and they were otherwise perfect? If answer is yes, I'd say you were lucky twice already. I say consider this a little like playing Russian roulette. :)
From what factory yours are? You see that from the first two letters of the serial number.
Thanks for reply, GH are first two letters

My first x from my carrier had sim tray that stuck out a fair bit, exchanged with carrier and the next one had gaps around screen assembly, sharp / rough edges and silent switch didn’t click properly, carrier wouldn’t exchange again so went to apple store and they exchanged for the one I have now, this one is perfect apart from the sim tray isn’t perfectly flush, very minor but I guess I believe the next exchange will be perfect, it’s a vicious cycle I need to break I think

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
So you are already on third X and two of them had sim tray issues? I'd say chances for better one are slim. I guess X'es sold today are more or less like that. Do they even make these anymore or are this some that have been lying around factory for some reason…?
Obviously this is annoying you and you are not satisfied, and sound like you want/are willing to try hunt for a unicorn. Anyway, since you obviously have perfect screen try to get exchange so that you get so see it first to make sure you don't end up with bad screen or some other problems. Also you need to consider that screen is very hard (practically impossible) to check properly in well lit store conditions, most screen problems became evident at dim home environments.

Mine both were from F-factory. Good one other family member has is from D-factory.

Last edited:

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
So you are already on third X and two of them had sim tray issues? I'd say chances for better one are slim. I guess X'es sold today are more or less like that. Do they even make these anymore or are this some that have been lying around factory for some reason…?
Obviously this is annoying you and you are not satisfied, and sound like you want/are willing to try hunt for a unicorn. Anyway, since you obviously have perfect screen try to get exchange so that you get so see it first to make sure you don't end up with bad screen or some other problems. Also you need to consider that screen is very hard (practically impossible) to check properly in well lit store conditions, most screen problems became evident at dim home environments.

Mine both were from F-factory. Good one other family member has is from D-factory.
First one tray wasn’t flush, second one flush but area around tray was rough / sharp, gaps around screen, sharp edges, silent switch felt dodgy, this one perfect apart from sim tray not flush but better than first one.

Last edited: