Exchanges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Mar 27, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity, how does it work if you want to exchange your machine within the 14 days of receiving it? Do you take it to an Apple Store, let them know the deal and they send out your bad one and order you a new one? Or are you supposed to send out your "bad" MBP yourself and then wait for Apple to receive it and then they start making your new one? Also, if you receive a bad MBP and you want to exchange it for a new one but would like to upgrade to SSD, will they allow that if you pay the added amount? Just curious how it works with exchanges and the timeframe you receive a new one. Thanks

2. p.luik macrumors regular

If it is actually "bad", they will fix it. If you don't like it, they will take it back and charge a 10% restocking fee. If you are getting the SSD and tell them that the sales associate when you made the purchase said you wouldn't need the SSD, but you have found you do, they may waive the fee.

I had my restocking fee waived when I went from a glossy unibody MBP to a refurbished matte display.

3. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

By "bad" I mean; Dead pixels, speakers popping at high volume, lid doesn't close all the way..stuff like that. Stuff you would know within the first 14 days.

4. RX64MACBOOKPRO macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

I also have a question about it
    If it has some annoying issues (hissing noises, popping speakers, warpings) and you want to exchange it, do you go talk to the orange shirt store manager to exchange it without the restocking fee?

or do you have to deal with the genius bar?

5. p.luik macrumors regular

I talked to the genius bar, then asked if I could just replace it. If you ask an orange shirt, they will have to ask a genius abut the problems anyway.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Exchanges are pretty straight forward. If there is something wrong with it, you won't be charged the restocking fee (if you do, you shouldn't, there's a defect). But before you return/exchange, the Genius Bar will have to take a look at it. What I usually recommend it call AppleCare tell them the problem and try to troubleshoot. If it's bad, ask for case number and then go to the Genius Bar. Give the Genius Bar the case no. and they'll review the notes and do the exchange with no troubleshooting.

7. RX64MACBOOKPRO macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

the annoying issues I encountered are:
    -random pops from the speakes at 50% volume level
    -light bleed from the lcd when watching movies at full screen
    -somehow at full brightness my 9c98 screen is dimmer than my previous mbp
    -lid does not close all the way gaps on the sides
    -why did I find a factory worker's white string in my usb port - it reminds me of fly in a soup...

though there's nothing wrong with the system so far....these annoyances do ding its value...

so how would i have to convince applecare or the genius bar to exchange it without getting slapped with a restocking fee (just because they say its within spec bs)

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You don't get slapped with the restocking fee if you do an exchange. The speaker problem will be hard to recreate so it's something that can't really be shown to the Genius Bar. You can argue the brightness and light bleed but the lids not really closing, don't know about that since most people have that, that's just personal preference. Still, I think the light bleed and brightness should be enough to warrant an exchange.

9. golfhero macrumors member

I've had two machines exchanged for light bleed issues. Exchanged via the Apple web store with no problem, no extra charges, etc. Painless except for copying all you data over again... I had my new machine arrive, transfered the data and sent the old one back - they put a hold on my credit card and released when the old machine was picked up by Fedex.