Exchanging a 3Gs with an old bootrom

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nyb50, Jan 18, 2011.

  1. Nyb50 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    #1
    Hello everyone,

    I have an iPhone 3Gs with an old bootrom. It is updated to the latest firmware 4.2.1. Recently the volume button fell off so I might take it to a Genius bar. It is still under Applecare warranty. From what I read Apple might exchange the phone for me. If that happens, will I regret getting a replacement phone with a new bootrom? I am not currently jailbroken and will not need a jailbreak soon. I only need to unlock the phone when I am out of the country during summer. What is your advice?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2009
    #2
    Possible unlock is based on the baseband. Old / new bootrom only deals with whether it's a untethered or tethered JB. If you get a 3GS iphone with firmware 4.1 (5.14 baseband) or above, you will not be able to unlock it unless you use the hack Ipad 6.15 baseband and the issues that goes with that.
     
  3. labman macrumors 604

    labman

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    Mich near Detroit
    #3
    You just have to take what they give you. You mind end up lucky or you may not. Only other option keep what you have.
     
  4. maturola macrumors 68040

    maturola

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #4
    If you will need an software unlock for the summer them you will need to Jailbreak by the summer. If you get a replacement, I am willing to bet 100% you will get new bootroom, but a 90% chance that it is already on 4.2.1( with a 10% chance of being 4.1). You will no be able to Unlock easily. There are some options out there using the ipad baseband but that is a bit ricky with all the string attached that it brings.
     
  5. thelatinist macrumors 603

    thelatinist

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #5
    I wouldn't exchange my old-bootrom 3GS for anything, even if it were under warranty. There are third parties like iFixIt that can repair iPhones, and you might even be able to do it yourself if you could get your hands on a volume rocker from an old touch or something. An old-bootrom 3GS is an increasingly rare commodity, and something not to be given up lightly.
     
  6. Nyb50 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    #6
    Thanks guys for all the help and advice. I will need to reconsider my options.
     

Share This Page