Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgurr1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Okay so I've searched around on the forums and still can't come up with a confident answer. I bought my 8GB iPhone 3G on July 11th and have now come up with the decision that I want the 16GB Black. I bought the phone from an AT&T store and I know that I have 30 days to return that to the store. Since the AT&T stores don't have any in stock, I was wondering if I could go into an Apple store tomorrow and see if they would exchange it.

Ive heard different things, such as if I take it to Apple that the ATT return policy would be void and etc.. So what I was wanting to know is:

1) Can I take to an Apple store tomorrow to get it exchanged? (The Apple 14 day policy would end tomorrow -July 25th)
2)I know I can take it back to ATT, but while they order my new iPhone, can I keep the one I have until the new one arrives?

If both of those don't work, then I'm going to wait for my Dad's 16GB to come and then he can just switch with me, right? My brother said that switching the SIM cards wont work, but I thought that if I restored my iPhone and then switched them all I would have to do is get it activated. Thanks for the help!!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Exact same situation here. Bought the 8gb black because it was that or the white 16 (didn't want white) and I'm wondering if I can exchange for the 16.

Its not the biggest deal in the world (I can live with 8gb, especially with pandora) but it would be nice for $100.

If both of those don't work, then I'm going to wait for my Dad's 16GB to come and then he can just switch with me, right? My brother said that switching the SIM cards wont work, but I thought that if I restored my iPhone and then switched them all I would have to do is get it activated. Thanks for the help!!

Yes, you can do this. Activate the new one with your dads sim so that its activated, and yours will be activated as well, then switch cards. Badaboom.

cgurr1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I doubt I'll need the 16GB but I just don't want to be running on 7.8GB and then deleting and adding and deleting and adding. I just want to feel confident that I can just shove everything over and not worry about running out of memory. Anybody else know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.