Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imswimmin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Tomorrow will complete 4th week of me enjoying my 13" macbook air. As pleased as I am owning it, I have unfortunately run into a sticky situation. One of my classes this year requires me to edit a lot of videos, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a LOT more CPU power than this computer has to offer. The problem is, is that I don't have the money to go and buy another computer. So, I am wondering if Apple will let me return my macbook air, and switch it out for an equivalently priced iMac, or maybe the mac mini server.

I originally bought the macbook air, because I didn't really have a need for the processing power, and wanted something portable I could take to school. That is why I originally chose the mac. Fortunately (and now unfortunately), I was able to get into a video editing class offered at my school. I thought I could use the 27" iMac we have at school; but apparently we can't anymore. So has anyone been able to exchange their macs, 4 weeks into owning them? I am not really that optimistic about the answer to this question, but hopefully Apple can see that I do have an honest issue, and assist me in this problem. :D

(Hopefully, I didn't ask this in the wrong place.)

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
They won't let you do that, but the Air actually does have a reasonable amount of CPU power. Depending on the model, it has about as much as the high-end 2010 MacBook Pro, so I don't think you'll run into any issues there.

imswimmin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
They won't let you do that, but the Air actually does have a reasonable amount of CPU power. Depending on the model, it has about as much as the high-end 2010 MacBook Pro, so I don't think you'll run into any issues there.

Yeah, that was what I was expecting. Oh well. I have the i5, and haven't run into any real performance issues yet, so I guess it should be enough for the work I'm doing. Appreciate the answer though! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.