exchanging at online store - appalling service

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigfried, Nov 20, 2008.

1. bigfried macrumors newbie

I have had enough of my new macbook screen - it's awful basically - no blacks just grey and the viewing angles are totally unacceptable. This is a premium priced product.

Rang the online store today to get it replaced with a macbook pro.

1st (very bored) representative suggested a screen cover would sort it out and then put me through to Applecare.

I told Applecare it was not a fault issue and he told me I had to go through them 1st and would have to be called back in 10 minutes - gave up waiting after 2 hours.

next call to Apple sales support - even more bored frankly rude rep. Said no supervisor available and they would call me back within 24 hours.

I bought this macbook with an ipod rebate offer too and they told me I will lose the rebate as I will have to cancel the original order and re-order.
    Is this correct? Can I not exchange / upgrade to macpro?

I said would it not be better for them if I actually purchased an even higher priced product rather than return the whole lot for a refund but the honestly did not give a ****.

This is my first mac purchase and I have just been left with a really nasty taste in my mouth. The attitude and service were more suitable for a 3rd world government department not a company from which you have purchased an expensive and premium product and I at this moment am seriously going to just cancel the whole thing.

Does anyone know if I can retain the rebate and exchange and if there is another way of going about this?

2. suburbia macrumors 6502

I'm sorry your first experience with an Apple product and their service has been frustrating. Don't be too discouraged, I would highly recommend dealing directly with their Customer Service Department to voice your discontentment. Applecare telephone support have been going downhill from my experience, and at best, it's a hit-and-miss.

Good luck :)

3. bigfried thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Just had a call from Customer Support and I am relieved and impressed. Rather than a rude call centre worker they were very helpful and professional and have promised to sort out my problems personally and seems genuinely concerned by my experiences. So I have updated this thread as mark of respect to Apple, although it is really unforgivable to have caused so much stress in the first place.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I had a similar experience with the geniuses at my local applestore. Like you, I had problems with the MB screen quality, and found it subpar compared to the MBP. When I finally got tired enough (within the 2 week period) to pony up for the pro, they insinuated the problems were nonexistant or insufficient and charged me a restock fee.

The CSR's at applecare resolved the problem, and got the applestore to refund the restock fee. You'll hear some people quibbling over things about the late 08 pro on this forum, but I'm completely satisified with mine. Enjoy.

Not wanting to hijack the thread or rehash the MB screen controversy, but the screen is just not the same quality as the Pro's. It's probably the best one ever for a MB with the LED, but closer than ever, but it's inferior in viewing angle, contrast, displaying dark colors, and etc. Let's face it, apple's always skimped a little on screen quality on their consumer laptops. The ibook's display looked a little pixelated and blocky compared to the powerbook. The people at my applestore compounded the problem when they repeatedly insisted that the screen was just the same as the pro's but only smaller.

I think a better approach would be to say that "the new MB has the best screen apple's ever put on a consumer laptop, and is almost on par with the screens on the Pro. Many people, unless they're doing professional photo or video editing, can't tell a difference." I think part of the problem apple's having is that the two machines look exactly alike, and they expect the MB screen to be the same. The plastic look and feel of the older MB dimmed people's expectations of the machine. Not so with the new one.