Exchanging iPhone 4 for a white one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oatastemur, Apr 28, 2011.

1. oatastemur macrumors newbie

This morning, I woke up to find my iPhone displaying no signal. I restarted it several times and restored it to no avail.

As it's still in warranty, I'm just going to take to to the Covent Garden Genius Bar, and I'm hoping they'll give me a refurbished one instead. Does anybody know if it's possible to exchange it for a white iPhone? Are there even any refurbished white iPhones available in stores?

Thanks

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

lol it came out today how would they have a refurb one?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you are still in warranty, they will only exchange it for the same model.

4. oatastemur thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking they might send any that fail the quality assurance check at the end of the factory line back, and turn them into refurb phones. I don't really know how Apple does these things...

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Since they were never pre-owned they can't exactly be refurbished, even if they were sent back to the factory for whatever reason. Anyhow, Apple only exchanges under warranty for the exact same product. Of course, you might get a really nice Genius associate who might be willing to exchange it for a white one.

6. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

Yep, the Genius people are very kind and usually can exchange for a different color, but the timing can seem a little suspicious. Remember, a lot of people are going to be making up problems with their current black iPhones in hopes to exchange for a white one. Regardless if you are truly having problems, they may see it as you just want to exchange it for the white one, so don't be surprised if they say no and just swap it out for a black one.

7. oatastemur thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it does seem a little suspicious in terms of timing. I don't really care about the colour to be honest; I was thinking of selling the iPhone in a couple of weeks time, so I can but a Galaxy S2. Now that it's suddenly decided to lose signal (does anybody know exactly what can cause this issue?), it seems like a good opportunity to just sell the refurbished one they give me for a couple of quid more. Lol.. Now I'm sounding even more suspicous. :rolleyes:

8. iFiend macrumors 65816

9. kolax macrumors G3

Pop the sim card out, blow inside the tray slot, and then stick the sim card back in.

10. SL4VE macrumors 6502

i tried this once with my 3G in Bluewater store. was a genuine issue and asked for a white and they refused saying they only swap for exact same model and colour

11. oatastemur thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for replying people. :)

It looks like I won't even bother trying to convince them to exchange it for a white iPhone; it would probably make me look like an idiot in the store anyway... :cool:

12. r2fa3l macrumors regular

they'll more than likely just give you another Black iPhone 4. I really doubt they'll give you a white one. Only because of warranty and model issues you currently have with your black iphone. not to burst your hope or anything. Some Geniuses are really nice though. Also for the people saying there's no refurbs. The white replacement phones out right now are new not refurb. In other words. They do have replacement white iPhones usually set in case some Dead pop out...etc

13. iFiend macrumors 65816

This

14. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I originally bought a white 3gs and when it broke they let me swap it for a white one.

15. phaggard macrumors regular

I have to ask the obvious questions. Do you have Cellular Data turned off or Airplane Mode on?

16. jlefflerster macrumors newbie

I did!

Actually, for some dumb reason, Verizon only has a 14-day return policy. They claim it's because Apple required them to do it in order to see their product. I disagree as Apple's policy on the iPhone is 30 days. Having purchased my new black iPhone on April 1, I had to return it on April 14 and go back to Droid. Painful to use my Droid for the last two weeks, but knowing White was just around the corner, made it worth it.

This morning, went and got my brand new, shiny White and love it. Put the Zagg cover on it and synced it from a backup and it's like it's always been :)

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Hope you meant you bought a black 3GS.

18. oatastemur thread starter macrumors newbie

No. As I said, I've even restored it and upgraded it any everything. I haven't restored it from backup, so it should be working like a new iPhone...

Thanks for suggesting it though. :)

19. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Hey buddy,

I really don't think so, if apple is going to replace it, it's going to replace it with exactly the same model and color.

You never know your problem might be fixable and can be fixed right on the spot just book your reservation on apple online.

Good luck

20. oatastemur thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already made my reservation. Do they actually ever fix them on the spot though? The slot it 10 minutes, so it doesn't seem like they'd have enough time! And I suspect they'll be very busy as it's a four-day weekend in the UK and I've booked a mid-day Saturday slot. I'll see... :p