Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thatquadguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
Bought an iPhone 5S, has display issues, unfortunately I threw out the packaging.
It's still within the 14 day return window but could I go to the store and do an exchange for a new phone and let them keep the packaging for the new phone since I don't have mine?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They should have an issue with that. Its a wash, since they still get all the stuff back

Thatquadguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
thanks for the response, if they won't do an exchange, would the genius bar do one?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can't speak to third party stores, but any exchange an Apple store will do does not include packaging. Apple has a bunch of phones set aside in small white boxes. Those boxes only contain the phone and are for precisely this purpose.

This way Apple isn't opening a new box every time there is an exchange and having to deal with extra accessories.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Exchanging iPhone 5S without packaging

Yes, but this kind of "exchange" do not include a new device, but refurbished one.
Without the original packing- no chance of taking an advantage of 14-day "return back" policy with "no question asked".

Thatquadguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
Surely if I agree to let them keep the new packaging, it shouldn't be a problem right?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Surely if I agree to let them keep the new packaging, it shouldn't be a problem right?

Like the others have said, they'll swap it out with a warranty replacement unit in a white box. These can be new or refurbished, but at this point it's most likely going to be a refurb.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Given that you appear to have multiple issues with every Apple product you've purchased, and want refunds even on replacement machines, you should perhaps return everything that you can, sell the rest, and stay away from Apple in the future.

Just a thought.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Given that you appear to have multiple issues with every Apple product you've purchased, and want refunds even on replacement machines, you should perhaps return everything that you can, sell the rest, and stay away from Apple in the future.

Or at least, make it a point to keep the packaging during the return window.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
If you don't have the packaging they will do a white box exchange. This will most likely be a refurb. Had you saved the box, being you are still in the 14 day return window you would've been able to exchange for a new sealed one.
Not that it really makes a much difference white box ones for all intents and purposes are like or better than new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.