Exchanging iPod Touch with Dead Pixel Online

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Oct 6, 2008.

1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

So, I was able to order my iPod Touch online from Radio Shack and have it sent to the store to avoid any shipping issues. I basically went through them because of being able to ship to the store, they had enough in stock so I could get as many as I needed and I would be able to go right to the store with any issues I had.

So I got it the Friday after I ordered it and started noticing the problems rather quickly. I find several times when trying to select something I have to try to tap it several times before it recognizes it and I've also noticed on some games that I really have to compensate to make the touch recognize that it is level (I have to turn it pretty far to the right) not sure if that is also the reason I sometimes have to turn my touch several times before it will switch to landscape mode. Finally, I also have a dead pixel on the screen, the only thing that is easy to explain and show to someone and they understand.

So anyway, as soon as I noticed the problems I took it back to Radio Shack to get an exchange. They still had none in stock in the store and the online site sold out shortly after I ordered. They checked our district and another district through someone the manager knew and none in stock. So I've been waiting now for over a week for them to locate me a new one and they still haven't been able to. So the other day the sale person I was working with called and told me that I should just use Apple's support to get a new one. So basically, I'm trying to decide if this is what I should do or not or if I should return it to Radio Shack and wait for someone else to get one in stock. My one concern is if Apple will replace one with a dead pixel or if that isn't something they cover. I'm also concerned I could get a refurbished iPod Touch back, which is a little upsetting because I paid the extra money to get a brand new one, not to have to return it for a refurbished one.

The main reason I went through Radio Shack was so I could exchange right in store and not go through all this shipping back and forth and to avoid using Apple's support until my return policy would be up and I had to. (The ones I ordered for my friends work perfectly)

Any insight it greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Macgic macrumors 6502

well if you bought from apple in the first place all you would of had to do was take it to the genius bar and they would give you a new one.

Yes apple does fix pixels. Im not positive but still pretty sure that you can take it to a genius bar and they'll fix it/give you a new one.

3. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply.... Sorry I forgot to mention that there are not Apple stores near me. It is over a 4 hour drive for me to get to the nearest Apple Store. I would have ordered from Apple online, but I have a lot of issues with shipping in my area and not getting things I order online. So when I was trying to buy one I needed to either get it from a local store or one where I could ship it to the local store.

4. Macgic macrumors 6502

I know what you mean i had to drive 200+ miles to the nearest store to get my phone fixed tho it was better than going 2 weeks w/o one.

5. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

That's definitely true... But unfortunately with the hours I work I'm not able to get there during their hours. I'd prefer not to go without, but since I don't absolutely have to have it, I think I could get by for a few weeks. If it were an iPhone I may just make the trek, but I suppose I could survive!

6. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

I think if you send it to Apple, you run the risk of getting a refurb.

I'd hang-on and wait for Radio Shack to get some in.
    I'd want it replaced with a brand new one, that's all.

7. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... That is what I was thinking too. If I run into problems down the road I can handle getting a replacement that is refurbished, but when it is only about a week old I don't really want to get a refurbished product when I paid the extra to get one that is new.

Thanks again!

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Is Radio Shack the only store local store you can buy it from? Surely there are other stores in your town. Where do you live?

9. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

The only other store locally I can get it from is Wal-Mart. They have them instock online, but have only had one in store. I've been waiting for them to get some more in stock, but still have not had any luck. I'm kind of hoping I can just return to Radio Shack and get it from Wal-Mart once they have some in stock. They handle these issues much better than Radio Shack has so far. The only other stores that carry electronics locally is Staples, but they don't have any iPods right now, not sure if they carry them at all. And then there is a Kmart, but they still only have the old iPods (never had a touch) and they are still at the higher prices, so I don't think they will be getting anything any time soon.

If I go about an hour from home I can get to Best Buy, Circuit City and Target, but I've not caught any of them yet with some in stock. It also poses a possible problem because I can't get to these stores as easily as something locally, so it could be a problem if I needed to exchange, not to mention exchanging when they have some in stock. And then for me the closes Apple store is about 4 hours away, so that is nearly impossible to me to get to.

At the beginning of next year I will be moving and my house will be in the center of tons of electronic stores (including an Apple store, I've never been to one yet, so I'm pretty excited), so I shouldn't have this problem anymore... Then my only issue will be not to buy everything I want!