exchanging macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nrmillions, Mar 22, 2011.

1. nrmillions macrumors member

I have searched on this forum and other places and keep reading conflicting things so figured I would start a thread and ask. I just got a 2011 15" MacBook Pro standard res and ordered the 27" ACD with it on the same receipt. I got it CTO with the 7200rpm hard drive so I couldnt get it in the store I had to order it online. I would like to exchange it for the high res anti glare. I ordered it 15 days ago from Apple.com but received it 11 days ago.

Can you exchange a CTO machine within the 14 days? I heard some people saying you cant return CTO machines and others saying you can.

Is it 14 days from when I ordered and paid online or from when I signed for the machine when it arrived at my apartment?

Does the 14 days apply to the monitor also or does that have longer return policy?

If I keep the monitor and exchange the laptop will the monitor still be covered under apple care even though it wouldnt have been bought at the same time as the new machine?

If I exchange the laptop and end up not liking the hi res anti glare can I exchange it again? Is there a limit to how many times you can do this?

If I exchange again does it start a whole new 14 days or does the 2nd exchange still have to be within the original 14 days of the first machine?

Can I return it to an Apple Store even though it was CTO through Apple.com?

Thanks

2. Guy Mancuso, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Honestly I would walk into the Apple store with you MBP all boxed up for return and ask. You are still within your 14 days from delivery. All we are going to do is second guess what Apple may do. As good as they are on returns and service they do things somewhat strange sometimes. For the better i might ad

But let me also add expect to get something they have in stock . So be prepared for a 15 in 2.3 AG screen with 5400 rpm drive which what they actually carry in the store. I did a BTO ordered as a 15 AG 2.3 with 8gb of Ram and 7200 rpm drive . I walked out with a return of 15 in 2.3 AG with a a 5400 drive and they added my 8gb of ram. They do not carry SSD drives in the store and the Hard drive i could care less about being 5400 or 7200 since i rip them out anyway.

The 27 inch you can keep and it will still be under Applecare

3. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

From my experience, CTO units will have to go back to Apple.com.

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I should have added and sorry i did not was mine went down so it was a service issue.

5. nrmillions thread starter macrumors member

thanks. anyone else have any comments? i need to know soon. i will have to return this thing within the next couple days. any answer to if i exchange it can i exchange it again and does it start a fresh new 14 days?

6. nrmillions thread starter macrumors member

7. tcador macrumors regular

Call Apple. They'll be happy to answer all of your questions.