Exchanging MBA for RMBP Question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Southernboyj, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Ok so I am considering exchanging my 2012 MacBook Air for the Retina MacBook Pro. I have a few questions.

1. I bought it via Apple Online Store with the student discount and Back to School Giftcard, so my question is, do I need to return the gift card also? Or could they just not give me one on the RMBP purchase.

2. It was bought via "Guest" on Apple's website so I can't print an invoice, so how can I provide proof of purchase at the Retail store I'll be exchanging at?

and 3rd. If all above goes well, can they transfer my data from this 2012 MBA to the Retina MBP?

Thanks for the help!

2. Ccrew, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012

Ccrew macrumors 68020

Even bought as a guest you should have had an invoice emailed. Apple can also look it up by order #.

As to the gift card that's a question for the store that can't be answered definitively here. Yes it has to be returned, it's up to them if it can be transferred to the new purchase or if it's just deducted from the return $ on the first machine.

Don't expect a data transfer. Time Machine back it up, and restore when you get the new one. You really don't want to return a machine with personal data on it.

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

My understanding is that if you bought it online, you have to return it online. Thats the way it was when I bought my laptop, things might have changed though.

You do not need an invoice, when you take it into the store, they look up the serial number and have all the details.

Though, its not really an issue, as most stores do not have the Retina instore anyway ;)

4. Geo411m macrumors regular

You shouldn't have any problems returning the computer if you don't have the gift card. They simply create a new card, return all the items into the system for credit, and sell you the new laptop minus the gift card. This basically allows you to stay with the original card.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, you received that as part of the transaction. You need to return the entire purchase.

You should have a receipt and you'll need that receipt. Will the store allow exchanging a computer purchased online? The last time I checked, you need to return the computer to the online apple store. The brick and mortar cannot (or will not) take it back. Things may have changed but that was my understanding.

You'll need to back up your data since you're returning the MBA for the MBP. That is you'll not have the MBA in your possession when you get the MBP

6. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

My reasoning behind it is, there is no Apple Stores within a 3 hour radius of me. However, next week I'll be in Detroit and Chicago and there are many between the 2 cities. :p