Exchanging NEW MacBook Air: Clone SSD, Time Machine Backup or Migration Assistant?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by J.C, Aug 3, 2011.

1. J.C macrumors 6502

Tomorrow night I'll be returning my new MacBook Air to an Apple Store for a different model MBA. If possible I'd like to avoid having to reinstall everything and setup the new MBA.

I've never used Carbon Copy Cloner before, never restored from a TM backup, and never used the Migration Assistant. Are either of these option suitable? Does the new Lion installation process changes things? If so any information you could provide on the correct procedure would be great!

Would the Geniuses at the Apple store be able to transfer everything across and make the process easier for me?

Thanks! :)

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm using a time machine backup, although cloning would be another good way, I just prefer to let OS X sort itself out. I'm upgrading processor and storage so unsure if an image of my i5/128 would have everything the i7/256 has, probably but oh well.

Either way good luck!

3. OSMac macrumors 65816

Call ahead, and ask if they would swap the SSD for you when you are there.
    They have for others.

4. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Will definitely call.

5. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I plugged in my MBP HDD into the Air's USB port via an enclosure

migration assistant was able to copy everything over without any issue.

I then had a 500gb external drive.

6. aleni macrumors 68020

carbon copy cloner is always reliable for me.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I was just going to post this exact same thread. Thinking of exchanging my 11" for the 13" My first thought is that doing a clone would be a bad idea since the computers are not the exact same? Or would it not matter?

8. KPOM macrumors G5

I suggest Carbon Copy Cloner. It works well for me. You can boot from the USB external drive and then clone it back onto the new one.

Note that often Genius Bars won't transfer data, or won't swap SSDs. You can ask but often they just take the old one back and give you the new one in the shrink-wrapped box.

9. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm wondering the same thing (although going from an 11" to a 13")

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Migration Assistant or Setup Assistant is the best way to go in my opinion. I've restored this way before from TM/TC and it was flawless.

One thing I do not understand however... at first system boot, "Setup Assistant" gives you the option to restore from a TM backup. After that... you always have the option of using "Migration Assistant". Is there a difference between the two?

/Jim

11. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Nope, same thing.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone answer the clone question? Im dying to know.