Exchanging unopened black ipad for white

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aproxymate, Mar 28, 2012.

1. aproxymate macrumors newbie

Firstly, I would like to say this is the most helpful community as far as anything apple is concerned. I have been a lurker for quite sometime and just registered as I ordered my first iDevice!

As for the question, I ordered a black wifi only ipad from an online retailer (PowerMax) who is charging no tax and giving $10 off. I wanted the white one but as it was backordered by a few weeks, I ordered black.

Now my question is, can I somehow exchange this ipad at an Apple store or any other retailer? I will have a receipt and the ipad will be unopened. Thanks.

2. bgiaach macrumors member

If you take it to an apple store they will probably tell you that you need to return it to the company you bought it from. I had the same issue when I bought a 16gb iPad on launch day from a radio shack. I went to the apple store in soho and they said I would first have to return it to the radio shack before I could upgrade to the 32 gb. Long story short, apple won't accept iPads purchased from different vendors.

3. aproxymate thread starter macrumors newbie

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

laurenr

That's not strictly true. Last year,with the crazy lines at the Apple Stores, my Husband ended up buying his ipad at BestBuy. Two weeks later, he had a problem with it, and without thinking, just took it to our local Apple store. They swapped it out for a new one immediately.

5. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

That's a different issue. Applecare covers issues and repairs regardless or where it is purchased. Apple, however, cannot just exchange an item that was bought from a different retailer just because you want a different color.

6. abir macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

Yeah, I think that if you want to return an unopened iPad apple will tell you take it back to the store you bought it from.

7. laurenr macrumors 6502a

laurenr

I'm afraid you guys are probably right in that Apple will not exchange a brand new iPad purchased from another reseller.:(