Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palinurus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Hi - I've had an iPad 2 (wifi) since launch but recently it has developed a number of dead pixels and so I went to the Apple store to have it replaced. They quickly agreed to replace it and I asked if I could pay the extra amount to have a 3G model as a replacement - it would be extremely useful now to have a 3G model given my current work needs. The Genius told me that this was not possible as they could only swap like for like.

I know I could tether my iPhone 4 but my battery is always low by the end of the day anyway so I don't think this is workable. I just don't understand why there would be a problem with swapping models where I'm willing to pay the difference! I've read a few posts on the Apple support site where people have managed to swap models after the initial two week period - I wondered whether anyone else had been able to and could share their experience? I'm going back to today to pick up my replacement (they didn't have any in stock when I went the first time) so it would be useful to know.

Thanks very much

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Hi - I've had an iPad 2 (wifi) since launch but recently it has developed a number of dead pixels and so I went to the Apple store to have it replaced. They quickly agreed to replace it and I asked if I could pay the extra amount to have a 3G model as a replacement - it would be extremely useful now to have a 3G model given my current work needs. The Genius told me that this was not possible as they could only swap like for like.

I know I could tether my iPhone 4 but my battery is always low by the end of the day anyway so I don't think this is workable. I just don't understand why there would be a problem with swapping models where I'm willing to pay the difference! I've read a few posts on the Apple support site where people have managed to swap models after the initial two week period - I wondered whether anyone else had been able to and could share their experience? I'm going back to today to pick up my replacement (they didn't have any in stock when I went the first time) so it would be useful to know.

Thanks very much

1. Get the replacement.
2. Sell the replacement.
3. Use the money from Step 2 to buy a new iPad of your choosing.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Look at it this way. Apple has a very generous return policy for iPads, more generous in fact than almost any manufacturer I know. If they allowed customers to "upgrade" their iPads, either to 3G from Wifi or from 16G to 64G, they would be swamped with inventory that was either intentionally damaged or simply traded in for new units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.