Excite/MacNN News: Intel Launching New Chip Lineup -UPDATE

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sblasl, Nov 11, 2007.

1. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I have updated this @ 12:00 AM to include news from MacNN & Intel Specs & Pricing

Is the time table what everyone expected?

MacNN is reporting:

Intel releases first 45nm Xeon CPUs

http://legacy.macnn.com/articles/07/11/11/intel.45nm.core.2.and.xeon/

All of the new processors should be available through pre-built systems as early as tomorrow but no later than 45 days away, Intel explains.

No system builders are named as partners in the initial announcement but are expected to include Apple as well as companies that have made early announcements of Xeon 5200 and 5400 systems such as HP and Lenovo.

APnews/Excite is reporting:

Intel Launching New Chip Lineup

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20071111/D8SRO5K80.html

Intel's launch Monday includes server chips with frequencies of 2 gigahertz to 3.20 gigahertz for the quad-core models, which have four processing engines. The clock speed for dual-core models, which have two processing engines, goes up to 3.40 gigahertz. The measurements refer to the chips' processing cycles, or how fast they can process information.
    The server chips will sell for $177 to $1279 in quantities of 1,000. The gaming chip will cost $999 in quantities of 1,000. Intel said all the processors would be available within 45 days.

Thanks to sdschwendener for the great find for the Intel Specs & Pricing

[​IMG]

2. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

So what the hell does that mean? lol No MacPro until January?

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The week of the 12/24 will be available those speed-demon chips .. The part that i don't understand the $ xx per 1k bin sale .. :confused: :eek:

That's like 2 wafers of chips..

4. 98707 macrumors regular

I just want to hear what intel has to say tomorrow.

5. sblasl thread starter macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Questions:

1. Intel's launch Monday - so is this just the announcement?
    2. Speculation that Apple was buying everything up — how do they do that if they are not even made yet?
    3. How would Intel prioritize what is manufactured first?
    4. 45 days would put things right around MWSF, yes/no?

6. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

1. It better not be. Well, they did say "Formal Announcement."

2. Since Intel gave Apple some Clovertowns before everyone else, it could just be an announcement tomorrow so that Apple can ship the ones (Penryn) that are already made "for Apple only."

3. Whatever Apple wants first since they fronted the most money? lol

4. December 26th.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I took it to mean that the Xeons and the highend single socket quad core (QX9650)are out this week, the rest of the penryn processors that were scheduled for a Q108 release will begin shipping within 45 days.

8. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Ahhhhh, that makes sense now. Hopefully new MacPro this week then. lol Time will tell.

Maybe "pre-built" means Apple bought the early ones as recently reported. I still believe Apple will release them this week. If not. Ah well, I still buy. lol

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Be careful here, AidenShaw is going catch you on this one. As this wasn't the case. Well, actually Apple decided to take the higher watt chips while the other big guys waited for the lower watt chips. As if he could really know that, but whatever.

The Mac Pro is coming. Macworld isn't that far away. If that is when it comes, so be it. More money to deck it out when it does come. I really don't think you should buy next week if they don't release it. I think you would be making a big mistake. We are in the final days. At most it will be what, 64 days or so?

The announcement on Nov. 12 has been known for a long time.

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I know, I know, but I have a huge project due at the end of December, and I am screwed without more power.

11. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

- just curious - what do you do?

12. GregPacker macrumors member

GregPacker

He's a kid, who spends all day reading this forum. His huge project is a detailed 500 word study of how humans interact with other species, called "My Weekend at the Zoo". The zebra picture is proving time consuming to render.:D

13. cwc123188 macrumors regular

14. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Of course, you forgot the ever-present "lol" at the end of your post...

jas

15. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I work for a production company and tend to do a lot of work at home. Mostly documentary stuff. Do a lot of After Effects and Motion stuff. Just tired of the hours and hours of encoding and rendering. lol

Only on the weekends. ;)

16. 98707 macrumors regular

I hope they adopt something like this...
    Quad-core Intel® Xeon® processor E5462 2.80 (80) 12MB 1600 $797 NOW

17. Death Warrant macrumors newbie

Quad-core Intel® Xeon® processor X5482 3.20 (150) 12MB 1600 $1,279 NOW-45 DAYS
    Quad-core Intel® Xeon® processor E5472 3.00 (80) 12MB 1600 $1,022 NOW-45 DAYS

NOW means NOW for Apple
    45 DAYS means 45 DAYS for the others?

:-D

18. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I would expect this to be the base model.

19. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I agree and, if we take the news that Apple was buying up the high end chips 3.0/3.2 and the NOW availability for the rest of the chips (including the 2.80) I think it is likely we could see an update tomorrow. I also think it could be done any time this month if it isn't done tomorrow. I don't think assuming tomorrow or Macworld is a valid assumption.

Especially if Intel is ready to release that many chips after having fabbed for only a couple weeks.

20. 98707 macrumors regular

I expect this would be the base model also. Fortunately I'm lucky just to have the money for this computer and that is more than enough for me.

here is some reasoning
    [​IMG]
    The first pentium processor shown here has 3.1 million transistors.. the new 45 nanometer dye here pictured in quad-core has 820 million transistors per chip. sick.