Excited about new watch, but...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Ke1ington, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Ke1ington, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Today is my first full day with the watch. I took it off the charger at noon and put it on. Glanced at it not even a minute later and it had dropped to 98%

It is now 1802 (so 5.25 hours later) and I'm at 51%. VERY light usage. I have the brightness at the lowest setting.

I also had an issue with the watch disconnecting from my phone when I got in my car and it connected to my Bluetooth. After I got out of the car I couldn't get it to reconnect. Restarted phone, restarted watch, nothing.

Ended up having to doing a full reset to repair watch. I attached a photo of what I was seeing in my Bluetooth settings menu.

Should I be taking this thing back?

Edited to add: I've also seen a pretty significant drop in battery life on my phone (iPhone 6).

Attached Files:

2. fireman13 macrumors 6502

My battery life wasn't great the first couple of days that I had my watch but after a few days it got much better. Now, I rarely charge my watch with less than 50% battery after a full day of use(15+ hours). I would say use it for a few full cycles and see if your battery improves.

3. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Had very very poor battery life first few days (first night dropped 45% from wearing it while i slept, charged it to max that morning and went to work, dropped again about 40% after 4 hours and i only replied to a few text messages, shared a few Heart Beats and Taps with my wife), did a hard reboot with iPhone and Watch and battery got better that evening.
    Took a few days for the battery to start getting significantly better. After having it like for almost a month now, i am very happy with the battery. Lasts me full day and usually I'm at 30% by nighttime.

Not sure whats going on with the other issue, hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will chime in soon.
    Good luck with it. If no one chimes in and you can't find a fix, bring it back to the store. At least now a days you can probably give it back and get a new one at the store. Unlike when i got mine, if i would give it back, i would have to wait for the replacement to be shipped to me.

4. chocoyo00 macrumors regular

I noticed that too, the first charge specially didn't charge long, but after charging it to 100%, then waiting until it drained until around 10-15% to put it to charge again it's been great and lasts all day long!

5. Ke1ington thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Thank you all for the replies. That makes me feel a heck of a lot better.

Hopefully I don't have to re-pair very time my phone connects to another Bluetooth device. That would be a deal breaker for sure as my Garmin vivofit had no such issues.

6. cowfish macrumors member

My battery also took a few days to break in. Now I put it on charger at night around 59% my wife's was/is the same.

My watch stays paired when I get in my car and it connects to the car.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Try resetting all settings on your iPhone and then unpair/re-pair your watch. I've heard this resolves issues.

For me personally my watch does disconnect sometimes when my phone connects to my car but a reboot for me does fix it.

Give the watch a couple of days for the battery issue to go away. Mine lasts about 1.5 days with a single charge.

8. Ke1ington thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I'm working a PM/NOC double tonight so I charged it fully before starting the second 8 hr stretch. It's been almost two hours and the battery is still sitting at 100%. I haven't really done much with it but it's definitely holding a charge better than earlier. Hoping this behavior sticks.

9. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Same as what others have said. Poor batter life for the first two days and then became good later.

10. lclev macrumors regular

lclev

Battery last a good day and a half now. I link my phone bluetooth to my watch and truck bluetooth system. If a call comes in the watch does not react but I assumed that was normal because I have a display on my dash showing who is calling. When I shut off my truck, the watch resumes call functions. I do get text messages on the watch while driving though.

You are showing two bluetooth connections in your picture. That is not normal. Also not normal is for your watch to pair with you car bluetooth - especially if it has never been paired with the car.

As suggested above by others, I would unpair and reset the watch. If it persists I would take it back.

Lisa