Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Your posting history speaks for itself. You troll and you troll hard. It doesn't matter what forum. Even after this thread was moved you continued to troll, and you troll the iPhone forum consistently. If you are truly an iPhone fan, then there would be no need to even comment in a thread about alternatives, no matter what forum they appear in. But thanks for your time. You may need to do some self surgery if you ask .

Oh man you're just not worth the time, "Stupid is as stupid does" Forrest Gump. I'm done with you. Have a good one.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I love my HTC One X, but if Apple come up with something spectacular, something better I would swap, I still have an upgrade pending, as it is though, I am looking more to Nexus or Note 2, that can't be right, I have waited in the early hours of the morning on previous releases of the iPhone outside the local store. Wont be this time, this release just doesn't excite me like others have.

Change the type of phone and those are my EXACT sentiments.

I'm not even a little excited by tomorrows announcement whereas, in years past it was like a holiday or something.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The same purpose lockscreen notification and pull down notifications have. Instant access to information.

Let me guess. Lockscreen notifications and pull down notifications are dumb also.

No, because after Apple "invented" lockscreen notifications and pull down notifications, they became magical with moonbeams and unicorns. As soon as Apple "invents" home screen widgets, they too will become magical. ;)

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Well said. I would rather people come here and share their experiences with different devices to help the rest of us make our own decisions. Some people may share something that they liked or disliked that you haven't thought of. I have gotten a lot of "Why would you want to do that?" to different features I want or don't want. It underlines the point that we all use our phones in different ways. What works for me won't work for you. I really think this is a great time for phones and diversity. Apple has great offerings. Android has great offerings. Now Windows is stepping their game up and the Nokia's look particularly enticing. I don't keep up on Blackberry. Regardless, there are a lot of choices out there. If you are disappointed with what you have, try something else. Just do your research and know what fees you will be charged if you aren't happy with the other side.

My enthusiasm for the iPhone event was fading. I have been drooling over the big screen and overall design of the Galaxy S3. So last week I went and got one. After the initial fun and "playing" with my new toy, I tried just using it for a few days. I quickly realized that the learning curve was too steep for the amount of free time I have right now. I have a 3 year old, a 2 year old and a baby on the way in December. My wife and I both work. I have several projects I'm doing at home. No it wasn't hard to learn, but I've had iPhones for 5 years now. It's nice just picking up the new phone and knowing how it works. I know where everything is and exactly what to expect. I also discovered I personally didn't like the larger screen for my daily tasks. So now I'm very excited to see what Apple has tomorrow and I will be switching back. And I'm very happy I have first hand experience with the Galaxy S3 now. It really is a great phone, but for my uses, I still prefer iPhone.

What do you mean too steep??? I'm glad u shared ur experience because that's the phone that intrigues me as well, it's feel and overall capabilities are great.

Unfortunately for your "argument" or statement, your lack of ability to accept change is based on your available time and willingness to change. I don't know how old you are but iM sure if u had a 6year old son he would pick up the SIII and know how to do everything within a week.

I think iOS is too user friendly and doesn't allow for user control, which is why I jailbreak my phone to get it to do stuff the os locks the user out of doing, but with that Said I also work for IBM and like to use the full capabilities of my phone so i embrace change and the openness of the android system.

I'm waiting to see what apple does with this new phone, most likely I'll just keep my 4s for another years and wait to see what the S4 or iPhone6 has to offer.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
What do you mean too steep??? I'm glad u shared ur experience because that's the phone that intrigues me as well, it's feel and overall capabilities are great.

Unfortunately for your "argument" or statement, your lack of ability to accept change is based on your available time and willingness to change. I don't know how old you are but iM sure if u had a 6year old son he would pick up the SIII and know how to do everything within a week.

I think iOS is too user friendly and doesn't allow for user control, which is why I jailbreak my phone to get it to do stuff the os locks the user out of doing, but with that Said I also work for IBM and like to use the full capabilities of my phone so i embrace change and the openness of the android system.

I'm waiting to see what apple does with this new phone, most likely I'll just keep my 4s for another years and wait to see what the S4 or iPhone6 has to offer.

Yes, some of it is definitely my unwillingness to take the time to "retrain" myself to a different way of doing things. I'm 36 with a 3 year old and a 2 year old. The 3 year old has been playing with my iPhone since she was about 12-16 months. When i was watching her with the S3, obviously she was struggling as she doesn't understand change on the same level as someone older, but I felt like the phone was not responding as well. Even to me, I would have the phone locked but the screen on and slide the phone into my pocket. When I pulled it back out, it was unlocked. Don't like the way the unlock swipe can go in any direction anywhere on the screen. Then I'd have the phone on the home screen and just holding it while I was doing something else, or shifting my grip on it, and it would activate another function. My iPhones don't do that.

Like I said, I think the S3 is a great phone. It's just not for me, not right now. I kept finding myself trying to remember where different functions were. Not bad or good, it was just different. It made me realize that for what I do with my phone right now, the iPhone is just right for me.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Watching the press conference and from a technical standpoint, it's pretty underwhelming. Slightly larger screen, improved camera, and iOS6 is still very limited compared to what you can do an Jelly Bean. Apple however does know how to put on a good show. They can make a block of cheese look like a Ferrari

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Its their job to make their product look as attractive as possible. Putting lipstick on a pig is what salespeople do in EVERY industry.

That being said, the iPhone 5 puts iOS a little bit closer to Android in terms of features. To me, it looked like most of what was added has already been available on android for at least a year.

Am I the only one who thinks so?

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Its their job to make their product look as attractive as possible. Putting lipstick on a pig is what salespeople do in EVERY industry.

That being said, the iPhone 5 puts iOS a little bit closer to Android in terms of features. To me, it looked like most of what was added has already been available on android for at least a year.

Am I the only one who thinks so?

I agree with both points. Apple has the best marketing team on the planet.

And on your second point, totally spot on.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Watching the press conference and from a technical standpoint, it's pretty underwhelming. Slightly larger screen, improved camera, and iOS6 is still very limited compared to what you can do an Jelly Bean. Apple however does know how to put on a good show. They can make a block of cheese look like a Ferrari

Improved camera? Really?

To me thats no improvement at all... Whats new? Panorama mode and better photos at night?

Please.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
I don't push cards to the limits though, all that would be on my card is music and photos. The class 2 cards are plenty enough to load standards songs and stuff.

I really want an iPhone, don't get me wrong, they're awesome phones, hence why I'm on this website. It's just not feasible for my budget to be able to allow me to buy a big enough iPhone for my music and photo taking needs. Hence why the Galaxy S is looking awesome. I especially fell in love with it when I got to use one this past weekend.

Maybe your friends are picky, but I've been stuck on a crappy 3 year old samsung basic phone with no internet and like 1MB internal storage, so anything will be an upgrade, it just happens to be an Android phone will be taking it's place instead of an iPhone.

Doing what youre talking is pushing them. Use in general. Pushing as in using most of the capacity. I never pushed mine, but they cause the gallery in phone to freeze.

When your phone is accessing data on the card, its pushing it to transfer at certain speeds, and sometimes it bottlenecks.

my friends aren't picky, its actual user experience they are complaining about. It gets annoying after a while.

Listen, I understand exactly what you mean coming from a Basic phone. My wife has one, SHE HATES IT. To the point shes begging for my old Samsung Fascinate.....just to get her by its that bad.
I get it, I really do. Thats why Im upgrading in Dec and giving her my 4s.
Also I really want i5. I think its worth the upgrade. Better Face-time cam. Its 4G. A 2x faster processor. Better signal, better Wifi.
Even more. I know they're incremental. But thats where we're at these days with Phones. Not much else you can do.
Not like Siri is gonna reach out of the phone and grab my.........never mind.
Im not trying to convince you NOT to by any Droid. Please do what you like.
Im really just trying to show both sides, as Ive had two, and tons of friends have them or did have them and they all say same thing.
Love at first sight. Bliss in newly wed stage. But after the marriage settles the problems start and soon after DIVORCE......except the judge(Verizon, ATT) wont permit said divirce until contract is up.
A friend just called tonight. Asked what I was doing, told him I was watching the iPhone announcment. He informed me he bought a Samsung Note 3 months ago. This guy had an iPhone since day one.
I couldnt believe it. He said what many others have said. Apple is just BORING ME TO DEATH. All the things he wants is there in Android.
I said well yeah you always Jailbroke the phones and tweaked byond recognition. ALWAYS.
He said yeah, funny, Jailbreaking always cause the very problems Im now facing all the time with the Note thats not Rooted.
He said the screen is awesome etc. But hes really annoyed with the bugs.
Hes waiting to put hands on a 5 to see if it wows him back.
So to me, and my opinion is like many others.....just that. Id go iPhone right off the bat.
Besides, even a 16GB version is more than useful. It really only gets hammered with HD video. Pics, music, Apps dont do too much damage. When it starts getting full, hook it up and pull off those clips
The 32GB is only another 100.....just 40 more than a decent card......which again still isnt great.

----------

"I'm just waiting for a phone that works again"

This is a major reason I'm switching back to the iPhone. I got a htc evo 4g when it first came out and loved it for a good 6 months. The screen size and turn by turn nav is the main reasons I got it. I realize it's over two years old but all of a sudden hardly anything works when I'm not in my apartments wifi. I've tried a lot of things to fix it, nothing seems to be working. I've had my apple PowerBook for 8 years and it's still pretty good, my iPod classic for 2 years, another classic that is 6 years old and it's running good besides battery, shuffle that's 3-4 years old, and a newish iPad 2 thats working well...new. iOS 6 will have turn by turn, the quality and reliability of apples hardware and software and quality apps are the reasons I'm picking the new iPhone. The smaller screen and custom home screens are the only two drawbacks that I will have but just as just seeing icons for the iPhone gets boring, so do the widgets for android

See OP. This is what I mean. SOOOOO many experience this. Just trying to help heartache

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Is it also their job to lie?

"World's thinnest phone" - Phil Schiller.

Nope.

Yeah, I have to say that Apple (for those who are discerning) looked desperate yesterday; and it was almost as if they knew they were lying and playing catch up.

Never; have there been so many mess ups with speech and hand offs and generally acting goofy (the goofy ninja dude on the controls).

Then trying to bring out the Foo Fighters in the end should have told EVERYBODY that there was some sort of trickery going on (and why was Tim Cook clapping like a fool for 30 minutes afterwards; you could see he was making the band feel awkward... sheesh)

Yesterdays keynote had WIERDO written all over; go back and watch...

Y-O-U-L-L S-E-E

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.