Excited for new UI?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jpu, May 6, 2014.

1. jpu macrumors member

jpu

I'm new to these forums, and as I read through I can't help but notice how many people don't want apple to "ruin" OS X by implementing a flat, iOS 7-like design.

Personally, I want Apple to flatten OS X as much as possible. Flat icons, white space, flat colors, flat shadows. What do you think? Are you looking forward to the flattening, or not. Is there a reason why you don't like the flatter UI? I'm interested to see what you guys think.

2. Sound214 macrumors 6502

Welcome!

I'm super excited for the new design direction of OS X, and I can't wait to see what they've come up with. While I certainly enjoy the way OS X looks and feels as of now, I'm starting to feel I'll soon look at it the way most people look at iOS 6 today.

3. .X. macrumors member

Personally I fear they will ruin it. :eek: I guess empty white space, primitive flat 80's UI elements, two-colored traffic sign style icons isn't my cup of tea.

To be honest I'm a bit baffled that some people actually prefer that look over the current design, and I think the iOS7 design is a huge step backwards compared to iOS6, but to each his own I guess...

4. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

Though I'm looking forward to it, I don't feel it needs an updated UI as badly as iOS.

The only areas I feel really need updating are the ones that were ported directly from iOS (reminders/game-center).

Though once I see the new UI, the current will likely instantly look old :p

5. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The way I see it, is that iOS 6 never looked bad. But when iOS 7 came along, iOS 6 looked really old in comparison. I believe we are dealing with the same situation of the whole Snow Leopard vs Lion (where Lion taken design queues from iOS like removing the blue aqua scrollbars...). A lot of people still love those aqua scrollbars, but I think the look really outdated.

6. jpu thread starter macrumors member

jpu

Agreed, iOS 6 feels extremely outdated now and I think that OS X is starting to as well.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I know it's personal taste but I think you have that backwards. The whole iOS 7 thing drove me to Android so I had nothing to lose and updated my iPhone to iOS 7. Now it looks (to my eyes) positively ancient, very 80's.

8. Burning Radio macrumors regular

Put me with the "modern" crowd when regarding the iOS 7 flattened look. I think it looks so much sleeker and cleaner than the old iOS 6. iOS 6 and Mac OS X both look old to me. It's starting to look like XP/Vista with all of the shadowing and contouring. Like the developers just discovered the drop shadow and contouring layer filters in their photoshop and applied it to everything.

Flat/matte is the way to go if they want it to look modern. I think the app icons and the UI for iOS 7 is all very vibrant and clean.

(One thing I wish they would do once for a UI is create a "light" version and a "dark" version. Not inverting colors but completely coordinated themes. Similar to how private browsing turns safari dark on iOS 7-- but system-wide.)

9. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Apple has said nothing about flattening OS X. They said they won't be merging the looks of iOS and OS X so of that's what you're hoping for then sorry you're out of luck. Changes are likely coming, but they will probably be far less drastic than what we saw with iOS 7

10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

No, they said they are not going to make them work the same (i.e make OSX have full screen only apps...). An iOS7 styled UI is expected.

"The new look will have similar toggle designs to iOS 7, sharper window corners, more defined icons across the system, and more white space than the current version. However, OS X characteristics like the Finder, multi-window multitasking, and Mission Control will not disappear in favor of a more iOS-like experience."

11. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

There are elements of iOS 6 that looked dated to me even before it was superseded by iOS 7.

However, there are things about iOS 7 that just drive me bonkers. For instance, I hate, hate, HATE the weeeee little line that appears in the Music app for scrubbing back and forth. I also hate the tiny little blue line that indicates page loading in Safari. In general I don't like any sort of tiny little element that is smaller than it needs to be (what was wrong with the page load indicator in the URL bar?).

I don't like many of Ive's color gradient patterns.

I don't like all the instances of buttons being removed in favor of text links.

12. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

No, please, no! IOS7 looks ghastly. The last thing I want is to have more flatness and more boring white space on a desktop computer. There's times when I almost need sunglasses to look at my iPad. OS X is white enough as it is.

However, I'm curious. Perhaps the OP could explain why he likes white space and dull boring flatness? Personally I had enough of that with Windows 3.1 back in the early '90's.

13. jpu thread starter macrumors member

jpu

Well, I was born in the 90s, so maybe that's why? The first version of windows I remember upgrading to was vista from XP.