Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panda76

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2016
Some seemed to be a bit put off by the name - thinking it was going all MOBA

but it does seem to be arena based, with all the classic modes, DM, CTF, Duels and so on (hopefully Clan Arena included)

I played the original, definitely going to scrape the old schoolers (in their thirties and forties by now) and dive into this when it comes out, anyone else anticipating this?

Hoping for a release date next year

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
PC Only?

Maybe pick it up for my "Console" PC when the R9 cards go cheap.

Interesting - back in the day Quake was ground-breaking for the FPS genre. Unfortunately, console releases totally lacked...

Maybe it'll be the same great experience on the PS4 NEO & XBox Scorpio... :eek:

;)

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I'm sceptical. The trailer makes the game look more like a hero-based shooter than like the classic Quake games. Basically, like a grittier version of Overwatch. The new Doom multiplayer also didn't really fulfill its promises of fast-paced old-school arena shooting.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
"Hero shooter" seems to be the next trend, unfortunately for anyone who wants even a sliver of combat depth...

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Quake Champions was on display at PAX last weekend. The closed beta starts soon. You can sign up for it here: https://quake.bethesda.net/en

The Quake Champions homepage has added some weapons info, arenas, and Champions stats and trailers. They're slowly rolling out more details about the Champions over the next few weeks. And the game is to be released 2017, probably near the end of the year.

Despite a lot of griping, QC is not an Overwatch clone. The game is still very much classic Quake multiplayer with the added dimension of minor abilities. It's been in development longer than UT4 and Overwatch.

The game will be Free-to-Play, which gets you one Champion (Ranger), with the option to buy all the Champions for full price. Also, you can earn an in-game currency called "favor" and rent different champions for a period of time. There will be weapons and character skins and "loot" boxes.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Quake Champions was on display at PAX last weekend. The closed beta starts this week. You can sign up for it here: https://quake.bethesda.net/en

The Quake Champions homepage has added some weapons info, arenas, and Champions stats and trailers. They're slowly rolling out more details about the Champions over the next few weeks. And the game is to be released 2017, probably near the end of the year.

Despite a lot of griping, QC is not an Overwatch clone. The game is still very much classic Quake multiplayer with the added dimension of minor abilities. It's been in development longer than UT4 and Overwatch.

The game will be Free-to-Play, which gets you one Champion (Ranger), with the option to buy all the Champions for full price. Also, you can earn an in-game currency called "favor" and rent different champions for a period of time. There will be weapons and character skins and "loot" boxes.

Thank God it is NOT an Overwatch clone! (I think Overwatch is so way over-rated - yes I did play on my XBox One during the free-play weekend - not my kind of game).

Thanks for the heads-up - I signed up...

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
id/Bethseda just post the webpage and trailer for a new Champion, Scalebearer. I could see myself using this champion. His ability, "Bullrush," looks like a blast.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Some seemed to be a bit put off by the name - thinking it was going all MOBA

but it does seem to be arena based, with all the classic modes, DM, CTF, Duels and so on (hopefully Clan Arena included)

I played the original, definitely going to scrape the old schoolers (in their thirties and forties by now) and dive into this when it comes out, anyone else anticipating this?

Hoping for a release date next year

Me, I cannot answer your question as I have no idea what all your abbreviations mean, sorry.

drevilcn

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
china
ID normally makes the same mistakes over and over again!

quake3arena came out, it was good but was actually made great by modders like cpma and especially OSP.

when quake4 came out it was like a total reset of all knowledge and everything was discarded, i cannot understand how people could play doom3 and quake4 MP, those modders showed what people want and big designers like ID completely ignored that.

when i saw the trailer of champions i was like what the ****, a hero base shooter, thats NOT ID!

i hope they will include a classic mode and big mod support!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
NDA is over...

After playing - yes, it is great. Very, very fast on my AMD R470, nice crafting, cool loadouts and characters, like the loot boxes.

What I told them:

Quake was GREAT back in the day, when it was essentially the only 3D FPS shooter out there. But now there are so, so many to choose from.

I'm more into "Sci-Fi Worlds" (Halo, Killzone Shadowfall, Mass Effect, Titanfall, etc). Quake is too "Gothic" for me. I'd rather play a Sci-Fi game over a Gothic one.

It is a great "Quake" game, if you continue to like this sort of thing...

Reactions: Irishman

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I'm cautiously optimistic however, I've resolved that Quake Live will forever be the best Quake and no matter how good this is on its own merits it won't be Quake Live.

Reactions: Irishman

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Anyone playing Quake Champions via Bootcamp on their Macs? Just wondering how well it runs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.