Exciting new Leopard feature! Ultrasleep!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tibi08, Jan 1, 2008.

1. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

UPDATED: Apparently not a new feature, it's called Safe Sleep and was also in Tiger. It can be enabled by using a hack such as the DeepSleep dashboard widget.

Original post:

Just occasionally, I run the battery right down on my MBP in the evening and can't be bothered to plug it in to recharge it overnight. I just set it to sleep mode and usually find it dead in the morning (smart, I know).

I did this last night, and this morning I woke up to find that the light on the latch had stopped glowing (presumed dead). So I plugged it into the charger and pressed the power button. IT WAS ALIVE!! The whole of my Leopard screen was displayed in a very strange black & white hue, and there was a progress bar near the bottom of the screen. When the progress bar completed, the MBP sprang back to life where I'd left it.

It appears that when the Leopard MBP runs very low in power, it switches to ultra-sleep mode to last longer. I wish I could induce this when I wanted it, rather than it being a hidden feature!

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

3. tibi08 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Interesting - how come I've never seen it before, but have always done the same thing? I can only assume it works better than it did in Tiger!

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It's possible that in Tiger, it was activated at a lower battery level. I've seen it once in Tiger, and once already in Leopard, which would suggest it's more likely to happen in Tiger.

I wouldn't want it to replace normal sleep though, it's much slower...

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What happens is that when the laptop goes to sleep an Ultrasleep backup is created in case it is required.

6. splashtech macrumors regular

Yup... my laptop has gone into safe sleep now too.

I would also like to be able to access this feature. I like sleep - I like being able to bring it back where I left it - but I don't like having to leave it to run it's battery out first. I wish there was a way to put it directly into that mode to preserve the battery, much like you can choose between sleep and hibernate on windows.