Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babourian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hey guys,

One of my friends has a :apple: 5s which has a disabled touch id caused by 7.1 update, Is it fixed in 7.1.2?! He restored many time when the latest version was 7.1 but now he need to stay on this version for some reasons, But if update fix it 100% he'll update to 7.1.2

Thank you in advance!

(Please do not post here if you say it is a hardware problem or needs replacement, 7.1 in some cases disabled touch id and was not fixed with restoring, you can search for that)

babourian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
OK, so you can search for iOS 7.1 breaking Touch ID, but can't search for whether 7.1.2 fixes it?
NOPE! I found nothing! Maybe it is not fixed?!

----------

Why wouldn't you just bring it to Apple and get a replacement?
Its still under warranty.
I just dont get people....

I would if I could, There is not Apple store in Iran yet. You think you're only one who came up with replacement idea? I also don't get people like you...

Are you people wanna help or something or want to post unrelated things?!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Why didnt you say that then?
The obvious and simple solution for anyone would be to bring it to Apple and they would just give you a new phone.
But since you cannot do that then the only option you have is update to 7.1.2 and hope for the best. And sorry to say what you don't want to hear but that is a hardware issue.
Nothing else you can do if your restore to the latest ios and it still gives you the same problem.
Hoping every ios update will fix your touch ID problem is not realistic.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
NOPE! I found nothing! Maybe it is not fixed?!

It took me about 30 seconds to find this:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/22/ios-7-1-1-released/

The title is "Apple Releases iOS 7.1.1 With Touch ID Improvements, Bug Fixes"

On another note, I searched for 7.1 breaking touch ID and found a total of ONE thread, in which almost everyone said that they had no problems. It sounds like either 7.1.2 will fix it, or it is a hardware problem.

babourian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
It took me about 30 seconds to find this:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/22/ios-7-1-1-released/

The title is "Apple Releases iOS 7.1.1 With Touch ID Improvements, Bug Fixes"

On another note, I searched for 7.1 breaking touch ID and found a total of ONE thread, in which almost everyone said that they had no problems. It sounds like either 7.1.2 will fix it, or it is a hardware problem.

Yes pal, says "improvement", But in case like being disabled or something like this, Apple will note that the exact problem was fixed, like the lock-screen bypass bug or a closed jailbreak which the fix was announced officially with releasing of the new update.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Yes pal, says "improvement", But in case like being disabled or something like this, Apple will note that the exact problem was fixed, like the lock-screen bypass bug or a closed jailbreak which the fix was announced officially with releasing of the new update.

Well, it is the closest thing to saying that they fixed it, so at least try it! Updates often fix bugs even without apple specifically mentioning it, such as when the fix only applies to very few devices in specific situations.

Also, apple has NEVER mentioned patching a jailbreak, I don't know where you are getting that idea from. Perhaps you are getting macrumors mixed up with official apple stuff?

Now, instead of trying to correct everything we say, do the four things that might actually fix the phone:

1) Reset all settings, by going into Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings.

2) Updating to 7.1.2, seriously there is no reason to not do it, but update with iTunes if a jailbreak is what your friend is worried about.

3) Restore the phone. Maybe even a DFU restore. This is the last thing you can do before you need to send it into apple for a replacement.

4) If all else fails, there is a hardware problem, so call apple, and tell them the steps you have already taken. They might tell you to try a few different things, then if they say it needs to be replaced, then, well, it needs to be replaced

Last edited:

babourian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Well, it is the closest thing to saying that they fixed it, so at least try it! Updates often fix bugs even without apple specifically mentioning it, such as when the fix only applies to very few devices in specific situations.

Also, apple has NEVER mentioned patching a jailbreak, I don't know where you are getting that idea from. Perhaps you are getting macrumors mixed up with official apple stuff?

Now, instead of trying to correct everything we say, do the four things that might actually fix the phone:

1) Reset all settings, by going into Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings.

2) Updating to 7.1.2, seriously there is no reason to not do it, but update with iTunes if a jailbreak is what your friend is worried about.

3) Restore the phone. Maybe even a DFU restore. This is the last thing you can do before you need to send it into apple for a replacement.

4) If all else fails, there is a hardware problem, so call apple, and tell them the steps you have already taken. They might tell you to try a few different things, then if they say it needs to be replaced, then, well, it needs to be replaced

Thanks, I'll tell you if it is fixed soon.

And about announcing a patched jailbreak by Apple, This official link says what vulnerability was patched with iOS 6.1.3 update, They even mentioned the evad3rs name!
http://lists.apple.com/archives/security-announce/2013/Mar/msg00004.html

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks, I'll tell you if it is fixed soon.

And about announcing a patched jailbreak by Apple, This official link says what vulnerability was patched with iOS 6.1.3 update, They even mentioned the evad3rs name!
http://lists.apple.com/archives/security-announce/2013/Mar/msg00004.html
They patched the vulnerability that was there (which is there whether or not a jailbreak exists essentially) and needed to be fixed as basically any and all vulnerabilities need to be fixed in general as they are all potential security issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.