Exclude iTunes from TM Backup

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by AppleDApp, Nov 2, 2012.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

My iTunes library is located on an external drive. My mac always seems to want to back it up. I already separately backup my media. How can I get my mac to avoid backing up my media twice?

At least I believe thats what's happening because I have a 1tb internal drive which I use about 500gb, and I have about 600gb of media and the total time machine backup size is 1.1tb I want to do this because my time machine drive is only 1tb in capacity.

Thanks

2. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: Time Machine exclusions...

Hi,

You can add files, directories, and volumes to a list of exclusions, to be excluded from TM backups. Do this in the Time Machine Preferences panel or using the tmutil commands:

tmutil addexclusion [-p] <file,directory,volume>

The beauty of this is that without the -p option, this is a "sticky" exclusion, meaning that if you move the file to a different location it will still be excuded from the TM backups. So, say you exclude your iTunes Library, then later move it to a different location --- it will still be excluded from your TM backups.

Switon

3. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I can't seem to exclude anything from this window.

Attached Files:

4. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

the plus sign is what allows you to exclude what you want to back up

5. AppleDApp, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Thank you so much I excluded my media folder and deleted all of my backups to start fresh I'll report back once I finish the backup.

6. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I started my backup at the time of my previous post. The backup size was a reasonable 80gb or so. Since then the backup size has gone up to 115gb and the backup is yet to be done. I am not producing content as of this time.