Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Is this part of Apple's carefully planned invasion of the livingroom? See, all the more reasons I think 2006 will be the Year of the Livingroom.

This could be that 'one more thing' since every other rumor has been beaten to death. I'd be surprised if there isn't rioting in the streets, afterwards, with all the pent-up anticipation.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Silly read, but full of goodies - we'll see what happens on Tuesday.

And a 42" Plasma from Apple for only 2599 with all that added extra stuff? I don't think so.

D

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
jholzner said:
Check it out. If this is true it will be sweet but expensive. However, PP also says no more firewire which I think is BS so who knows how reliable. The news in this article is encoded in some strange story about buying food at a gas station but I think the info is supposed to be genuine but not how it was obtained.

http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2006/01/exclusive_apple_plasma_displays_to_rock_mwsf.html#008526
There are several problems with this story. The price points for the 42" and 50" HDTVs mention are slightly below those that you expect to pay for name-brand sets at Circuit City and other home electronic stores. Gateway was No. 1 in the plasma flat panel market when it got out. It got out because it wasn't making any money selling flat panels. Today, prices are dropping like a stone. This doesn't sound like much of an opportunity for Apple.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Seems really unlikely. Lots of people already have flat panel TVs, and wouldn't want to buy a whole new TV just for the extra features Apple's would have. I buy virtually every product Apple comes out with, but there's no way I would buy a whole new TV for this.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
iGary said:
OK, off topic, but I just watched the singing penis on your site and nearly choked on my seltzer water.

Glad you liked it. I've had that video for years...it gets a lot of hits on my site.

On another note, PP mentions a LCD remote. That rang a bell so I did some searching and sure enough back in July 2005 Appleinsider posted a note about an apple patent or somthing dealing with a universal remote control with LCD screen that would automatically sense future devices and change the screen depending on which device you were using. Here's the link:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1164

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
it referances a friend of a friend. Yea, those types of rumors are VERY reliable. :mad:

I realize that but I think that the whole story about how the information was obtained is not real but the information itself is supposed to be. I'm not saying it is true but I am saying is that the information itself is a real rumor but the story is just a wrapper.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jholzner said:
I realize that but I think that the whole story about how the information was obtained is not real but the information itself is supposed to be. I'm not saying it is true but I am saying is that the information itself is a real rumor but the story is just a wrapper.

They're protecting their source :D

Still, I'm doubtful.

D

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
jholzner said:
Glad you liked it. I've had that video for years...it gets a lot of hits on my site.

On another note, PP mentions a LCD remote. That rang a bell so I did some searching and sure enough back in July 2005 Appleinsider posted a note about an apple patent or somthing dealing with a universal remote control with LCD screen that would automatically sense future devices and change the screen depending on which device you were using. Here's the link:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1164

Nice find! This seems to good to be true! :p

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I don't think you guys get it ... this isn't just a display, it's a computer too. Note the part of the story where the plasma TV runs Tiger.

Now, does that make the rumor more or less reliable? I say less because it seems like a really bad consumer purchase ... wouldn't it be smarter to have a computer linked to a plasma so that you can upgrade in a more cost-effective manner? Keep the display for 10 plus years, but upgrade the CPU every 2 or 3?

I'm glad this story showed up because I was starting to get freaked out over the lack of outrageous Apple-leaked red herrings this year and feared that all the Intel-Mac rumors were therefore untrue. If pattern holds, a major product will leak tomorrow.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Well there are surprising similarities with a thread over at AppleInsider where one member claims that Apple will unveil two large-screen "iMac-but-not-iMac" devices for the living room. The pricepoints were similar, but it sounded like a combined iHome/iMac thing with large LCD TFT screen. He seemed to suggest that it was a seperates stack/combo system rather than a single all-in-one. There was no mention of Plasma.

Edit: link: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59881&perpage=40&pagenumber=4

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
mdavey said:
Well there are surprising similarities with a thread over at AppleInsider where one member claims that Apple will unveil two large-screen "iMac-but-not-iMac" devices for the living room. The pricepoints were similar, but it sounded like a combined iHome/iMac thing with large LCD TFT screen. He seemed to suggest that it was a seperates stack/combo system rather than a single all-in-one. There was no mention of Plasma.

That seems far more realistic to me. Apple is already in the LCD business, why get into plasma and why wed the CPU to the screen?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Chaszmyr said:
Seems really unlikely. Lots of people already have flat panel TVs, and wouldn't want to buy a whole new TV just for the extra features Apple's would have. I buy virtually every product Apple comes out with, but there's no way I would buy a whole new TV for this.

That's what people said about the then mysterious apple mp3 player before it came out.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Am i the only one that feels that the story within this article was written like a badly scripted highschool play?

"he heard from a friend of a friend of a friend ... Not so loud he mudred ... pretending to organize the salads ... stuffed a few pretezels in my bag"

common!?

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
I'm not sure what to think - but Plasma? errr..nah I don't think so. Do people even buy Plasma TVs any more?

LCD is the way to go. I could see a 23 - 30" iHome kind of system. mmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.