Exclusive Windows Install?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by madgick, May 22, 2009.

1. madgick macrumors newbie

I've managed to get hold of a black Macbook with a blank 60GB hard drive (long story, I'll tell it later if anyone cares)

Annoyingly I don't have the Install discs that came with the Black Macbook, and it said it was unable to run the Mac OSX one I got with my White Macbook. I thiiink it was running Tiger before

Anyways, having had the time to think of a solution, does anyone know how I could make it Windows exclusive? Not only would it be pretty funky having 2 Macbooks, one running Mac OS X and one running Windows XP or something, but it would be extremely helpful for some Uni stuff I have to do. I was thinking, if I downloaded Windows 7 (because thats free right now, here if anyone was wondering) and burnt it to a disc, would it be as easy as just putting that in there??

Reason for extremely long winded explanation: Having googled quite a bit on this, I've seen a lot of people shunned for asking how to make Macbook Windows exclusive. The best response anyone seems to get is "why did you bother buying a Macbook??" hehe. So shun to a minimum pwease <3

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You should be able just to format the whole drive and install Windows7 and be done with it. I think part of the issue in the past was Windows being able to talk to the EFI chip used in the macs (replacement for BIOS), but Windows7 can do this no problem now (as can Vista SP1).

Finding drivers may have to be done manually though to get WiFi and Bluetooth working.

Hopefully somebody else can also jump in on this issue. Did you look around the Windows on Mac subforum on here?

3. madgick thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you muchly, I'll give Windows 7 a try tomorrow when I can get hold of a disc to burn to. I'll let you know what I eventually manage to get going. Explains why the XP I tried was spazzing out too :)

4. mosx macrumors 65816

Windows 7 should run fine. The black MacBook has all standard Intel chipsets.

There are some other things though. Apple uses either Atheros or Broadcomm wireless cards, so you have to determine which it has. Plus your audio should work, but (again) Apple uses Realtek or Sigmatel. My first MacBook had Realtek, my second had Sigmatel, my third has Realtek again.

The other thing is the touchpad. Apple's Boot Camp drivers have the driver so you can do the two finger right click.

You basically need a way to get the Boot Camp set up on there really.