Excuse my ignorance, but why 64gb?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by lwilliams, Sep 15, 2016.

1. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

I am going to purchase the Apple TV 4 tomorrow. What is the internal storage, 32 or 64, used for?

I am replacing my WD TV. I am converting from Mezzmo to Plex for my media server and the Apple TV looks like a good fit for this.

2. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Apps mostly. First TV to allow 3rd party apps

3. bheathain macrumors member

Since Apple doesn't allow downloads of movies and music for offline use, I don't see a need for the 64GB. That is unless you're planning on buying a bunch of games, some of which can get pretty big.

4. lwilliams thread starter macrumors regular

lwilliams

I store everything on a 28TB media server. I don't play games. So, there is no reason to get the 64gb......I guess.

5. rolsskk macrumors 6502

There's absolutely no reason to get the 64gb. I have that, and I currently use...500mb (and I've had it since launch!).

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

More or less only apps. And there's not that many of them yet, so no need for the 64GB model.

7. getrealbro macrumors regular

Apple won’t even let you download personal photos or videos from your OS X Photos app. or iOS Camera Roll.

FWIW Not being able to download videos to the Apple TV for offline use makes the absence of an Apple TV Amazon app no big deal, since Amazon (unlike Netflix) allows you to download up to 25 videos to the iOS Amazon app and AirPlay them on the Apple TV. I can download in the AM and watch later that evening. Zero buffering is a very big deal if you have a low bandwidth or unreliable internet connection.

—GetRealBro

8. lwilliams thread starter macrumors regular

lwilliams

Thanks for the answers. I picked up the 32gb version and am thrilled. I added the PLEX app and and, WOW, what great device. The when it comes to "typing" text, it is much easier to use the remote app on my phone than the included remote.

It did need an OS update right out of the box, but I expected that. And it was so easy.

But, this thing is 100% perfect for me!!!!

9. inkahauts macrumors regular

I think it might also be what allows for longer buffering on some streaming apps but not sure. Does anyone know?

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

I'm not sure if they use the storage for a buffer, but....
    most streaming movies are in the 5-10 GB range, so even the 32 would let you store several movies,
    so that wouldn't make a difference

11. JamesSinger94 macrumors regular

JamesSinger94

Build a media server with plex or emby and buy the 32gb aTV... Then instead of storing movies on your aTV you have them on your server meaning you are not limited to only using the aTV, can watch on iPad, Mac, iPhone or even if anyone in the house has a non Apple device :) (Plex works well with my brother's Chromecast and my mums Google Nexus tablet)

12. lwilliams thread starter macrumors regular

lwilliams

I was using Mezzmo and it started having lots of issues. Then I switched to Universal Media Server, which works great, but has a ways to go to get what I want.

I installed PLEX. WOW. The Apple TV Plex app is wonderful. I imagine this is really all that I will use the Apple TV to do. Regardless, I am very well pleased and can't imagine it getting any better than this.

13. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

I bought the ATV4 on impulse and because I didn't do my homework got the 64GB thinking it would be great for the extra storage similar to an iPad/iPhone. Now I realize it it was a waste of money.

Glad to hear about your experience with PLEX; as soon as I get my media server sorted out I'll be making good use of it.

14. rolsskk macrumors 6502

Yup, I did the same thing on Black Friday, and I'm left wondering why we even need 32gb version of the ATV.

15. d21mike, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Have you tried to understand why Apple created the 64GB Version if it is of absolute zero use to anyone? Are you in the camp that Apple just wants to make more money when they know that it has zero value?

I am in the camp that Apple understands that a lot of people would be satisfied with the 32GB Version but there are some that could use the additional storage.

In my case I have the 64gb version and I am using just under 32gb. I have never seen the in use storage > 32gb. However, in addition to that I use the Channels App for Streaming Live TV and I have it set to buffer (temporary) up to 16gb for about 2 hours that I can PAUSE/REW/FF. So, in my case I would max out at about 48gb. Not not everyone is using the Apple TV to Stream Live TV and maybe they do not need or want a lot of Apps (Games?) so 32gb (or less) would be fine. But in my case I am glad they offer the 64gb version.

UPDATE: The Channels App only allows for a 8GB Buffer. The InstaTV App Allows you to set the buffer size at 16GB.

16. rolsskk macrumors 6502

Oh please spare me your ASSumtions. I'm not in that camp, I'm frustrated with Apple not allowing you to download anything, and I've only used under a gig since last year.

17. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Come on, did you not see the ? at the end of both my questions? I made NO Assumptions. I am just baffled by all of the people that have no idea why there is a 64gb version.

For the record. I also feel Apple should allow us to download whatever we want in a similar way as we can with the iPad.

18. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I have a 32GB version which is more than enough. I am not a casual gamer but playing semi pro on consoles and PC. If you use the ATV 4 as kind of a family hub then you'll most likely have lots of apps and games. As long as you cannot download movies locally for me it makes not much sense to have that much storage.

19. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Apps, and it's clear the ATV4 downloads your video content while your watching then dumps it after playback. So if you're a heavy app or game user, you might want a larger device so there's ample space. I haven't found a need for more storage, and I doubt most people will, but it's there for those that do.

20. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

Actually, AirPlay streaming does not give you 1080p w/5.1 audio...with Amazon's iOS app it's not even HD, so, YES we do need an Amazon app!! (One of the reasons I've not been in a hurry to get ATV4, have ATV3).

21. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

We need an Amazon App but to be fair Amazon Airplay is the best I have seen. It definitely appears to be HD to me.

22. getrealbro, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

getrealbro macrumors regular

Maybe the Amazon Video via AirPlay is not “HD”. But I’ve been watching Amazon Video via Airplay after downloading and Netflix video streaming nightly for the last week or so. The quality of the Amazon Video via AirPlay of downloaded content consistently beats Netflix streaming hands down.

This isn’t surprising since the quality of the Netflix stream is dependent on the bandwidth available when you are watching the video. So people like me with low bandwidth internet connections get very poor quality when streaming in the evening. The Netflix app on ATV4 does a credible job of compensating for low bandwidth. But most nights Netlix still fails to complete ANY video without significant degradation (e.g. heavy pixelation) and one or more interruptions when it outright fails to complete the stream. OTOH AirPlay of the Amazon downloaded content is independent of the internet bandwidth at the time of watching. And of course, the quality is constant and it does not fail to complete without interruption.

AFAIK none of the ATV4 video apps (e.g Netflix, Hulu, etc.) allow you to download content for viewing later. Is that just a coincidence or could that be because Apple doesn’t allow it? And if the later, is that part of why Amazon hasn't developed an ATV4 app?

For me an ATV4 Amazon app, or any other video app, that does not allow me to pre-download content into our 64GB ATV4 is almost useless.

—GetRealBro

23. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

I completely disagree, Netflix streaming (at least on my ATV3) does stream in HD and 5.1 audio, Amazon video via AirPlay does not have as high a quality, it is obvious to the naked eye. But, I did have issues with Netflix back when I had a low bandwidth DSL connection, so, I can see this, but, if you can get 5-10GB d/l speeds, depending on how many ppl use it, you should get much better results w/Netflix.

This has nothing to do with Apple, it is the way they do things everywhere, not just on Apple TV. I don't believe you can download content for later viewing with iTunes on your ATV4 either (but I do not own one yet), only on your iOS devices or with iTunes and your computer.

In fact, I have a big beef about watching online/streaming content with ads...except for Netflix, iTunes and Amazon, (and a few pay-too-much-per-month apps), they (virtually all the content providers) have subtly made it so that you cannot skip or fast forward past ads, no matter if you watch on computer, or set-top box, anytime you watch a TV show over the internet, you are forced to go through the ads. This is something that everyone needs to be aware of...and I have given Apple feedback that if they come up with channel packages we absolutely need either: no ads, or a way to skip or fast forward through ads...if you can do it with the cable boxes, you should be able to when you pay for it any other way. When it's free, I guess I have to put up with it.

24. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

I'm happy with the 64GB. Maybe in the future, Apple tv will have as many apps as the Roku for movies.
    better to have too much space than not enough was my thinking.
    and Plex is wonderful. now, if Apple can figure out how to get the movie poster view on the apple tv, it would be a much needed improvement.

25. Tech198 macrumors G4

It doesn't matter about game size, since the oldest stuff gets replaced, and new stuff (levels etc.. graphics etc downloaded in the background..

If it was permanent storage they'd be a reason to have more, but in this case, since old stuff is replaced after a while, then I would say the little reason for 64Gig..