.exe file from Avast! opening as text document

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LukeTruth, Nov 8, 2009.

1. LukeTruth macrumors newbie

I downloaded Avast free version from CNET and although it is an executable file it opens in Text Edit as:

MZê

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You're on a Mac. Executable files will NOT run. Thank god.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. belvdr macrumors 603

5. LukeTruth thread starter macrumors newbie

There was more to my first post that wasn't included. I pasted a sample of the pages of random symbols that follow "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."

In finder file, avast_home_setup.exe, is listed as Plain text under the "Kind" heading.

Anyone know what setting I need to change or what else my problem might be? I need some virus protection! Thanks.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

What OS are you running? OS X, right?

Now, .exe files are Windows executables; they do not and will not run on OS X. Follow SkyBlue's direction above.

7. LukeTruth thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh thanks everyone.

Sky Blue, why don't I need any?

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Did you read the post people wrote? An .exe can not run on a Mac. You don't need virus protection on a Mac, there are no viruses.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There is no way to get that program running on your Mac. That's what I meant by ".exe" files WON'T run on a Mac. Download the Mac version of the app.

What part of being on a Mac do you not understand? You do NOT need virus protection on OS X. Not now, not in the past, not in the foreseeable future.

10. LukeTruth thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha thanks for the stern reprimand. When I realized half of my first post had been cut off I tried to write and publish my second one before anyone had replied...but within that 45 seconds you and two others had responded. I admit that I didn't know that this OS didn't require additional virus protection but that's part of learning. Much thanks for the quick responses and valuable information.