exe file uhohs!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maryella, Jun 14, 2010.

1. maryella macrumors newbie

Hi guys, new member but have used these awesome forums to trouble shoot in the past! Couldn't find an answer to my problem, so I joined up and now I'm fishing for help.

My problem is that I seem to have designated .exe files to open in TextEdit, which just gives me a bunch of jargon if I try to execute the file. How do I fix this, and what should I designate .exe files to open with?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. maryella thread starter macrumors newbie

I've looked in to and tried to open .exe files through several methods from the forums, I'm pretty sure my problem is that I have .exe files coming in through the wrong program. Doesnt' really help D:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

.exe files are Windows executable programs. They will not run on Mac OS X.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

former duplicate, note to mod, who got the report from me, I used this post now to answer the OP

So neither thread made you aware that .exe files are not meant for Mac OS X, unless you do one of those steps those threads described or I repeated?

And to eliminate guessing games, what methods did you try?

6. maryella thread starter macrumors newbie

kay, knew that. again, not my question.

I was just wondering if the .exe files should be going to TextEdit automatically because I accidently picked that a while ago as the .exe default "open as." how do I change this default, and what should the default be?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The default shouldn't be anything, since .exe files will not run in Mac OS X. They shouldn't be associated with any Mac application, because no Mac application runs .exe files. The only way they'll run is in a Windows environment, either via Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox, as has already been stated.

To change the default for any file, right-click on the file in Finder, Get Info, Open with:, select an app, then Change All...

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The default should be Windows, you might remove TextEdit via the Get Info Inspector.

[​IMG]

Maybe you should have been clear about this from the beginning.

9. maryella thread starter macrumors newbie

excellent, thank you for your answer...was exactly what I needed to know! :]

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can always go to www.versiontracker.com and either

1. download a new text editor, use command-I to set all .exe files to it, then delete the new text editor.

2. download a wine app and set that for exe's

11. maryella thread starter macrumors newbie

gotcha. I thought my OP was pretty clear, I stated that I "designated .exe files to open in TextEdit...How do I fix this, and what should I designate .exe files to open with?" meaning that I needed a find a way to remedy the "open with" problem. Will try to be a little simpler in the future.