.exe files and active x on Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novic, May 6, 2014.

1. novic macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I am a basic novice with Mac, I have been a Windows person all my life. I am a teacher by profession and I have tons of resources (animations, powerpoints and software) that are .exe files or run Active X controls. These are years worth of resources I have and they really add to lesson activities.

My new school seems to be sponsored by Apple, because it is all Macs and I pads. i have bought myself a Macbook but to my disappointment these resources will not work.

I know there is the option of running Bootcamp, parallels or VMware. But my question is will these programs work on these platform or will I still be hampered by mac hardware?

Thanks for any help

Regards

2. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

Parallels would probably be the easiest, and run in Coherence mode, so that you won't feel like it's Windows, but it integrated into the OS X environment.

other VM's is not as streamlined, but Parallels have a stupid tendency of requireming you to upgrade almost every version

3. novic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok here I'm going to show my ignorance what is "Coherence" mode?
    Also do you have to pay for updates?

Thanks

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Coherence mode is just a term used by Parallels to run windows programs within the OSX desktop, that is, it looks like you're still in OSX instead of seeing it a parallels window which displays the windows desktop.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Using Bootcamp, you will have the option of running Windows exactly as on a 'normal' PC. You can dual boot between Windows and OSX (The Mac operating system) at will.

Bootcamp is free, the remaining stuff is payed for software.

6. mfram macrumors 65816

No matter whether you choose Bootcamp or Parallals or whatever... you will still have to buy Windows. None of the options are truly "free". Just want to set expectations. And not only that.... the cost of Windows is significantly more than the cost of any of the commericial virtual machine options.

7. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

I kinda knew this would happen, a lot of people will vote for their own or free.

but I think that a teacher, even though they are not paid what they are worth, still is in a situation where they can afford upgrades and need to be able to just double click a file and it just opens.

to keep the mac feel, to remain able to open whatever exe or activeX component in front of class or while preparing: Parallels.

And yes Windows costs, and every Parallel upgrade costs...
    but as a teacher you can probably get a student discount or similar.