.exe files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laure, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Laure macrumors member

Is there anyway to open a .exe file on a mac? Everytime I download something it downloads with that ending and I can open it. Thanks!

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You need to install Windows under Parallels desktop to use an exe file.

3. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

4. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

What exactly are you downloading? only Windows programs should have that extension. I'm a little concerned because you say "everytime" you download something it has the *.exe extension.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You should be downloading .dmg files.
    .exe is a windows application extension
    .app is an Apple application extension.

6. Laure thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't say I got "suckered" into buying a computer I don't understand.....I have owed mac's for the last 8 years and I have everything from an old G3 imac to my most recent macbook. I understand that exe are windows file...I was simply asking if there was a way I could open them. Thank you for not being even a little bit helpful.

7. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

if we could open .exe files we wouldn't need bootcamp now would we:p

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Don't mind him, he's got trolling tendencies.

Yeah, as others said, .exe is a windows thang. What are you looking for? Perhaps there's another file type or equivalent out there.

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

If you really need the .exe use it on a virtualisation program such as Parallels or VMware or google for it's Mac alternative.

10. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised no one has said it clearer, but the only thing that will open a .exe file is Windows; which version (98/2000/XP/Vista) can't be told from the extension alone.

What people are suggesting is to look for a mac alternative to what you are downloading. For instance if you are downloading an IM program such as MSN, or Yahoo, there are mac equivalents, usually a .dmg file. In many other cases you have to seek an alternative; for instance WinAmp doesn't make a mac version so you need something like VLC.

What I'm concerned about is that you are being hit with spyware/virus downloads and you yourself don't know what the exe files are. For instance, they came as attachments in your email or as a link somewhere. Unless you have some questionable friends sending you exe files, these are 99% of the time viruses.

Your question, however, almost begs the adage "If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't know," but if you really must know, and really do need to "open" these exe files, you will need to install Windows on your Mac. If it's an Intel based mac, you have the option of BootCamp, Parallels or VMWare.

(I said "open" because an exe really wants to get "launched" as it's a program, not a file.)

11. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

If you mean viewing their contents as text, you can open them using BBEdit or you can 'cat' them in Terminal if you're command-line savvy.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The easiest way, although not fully supported by all applications is CrossOver, unlike a VM crossover runs the windows program on your Mac, no need to load windows. I think the programs it is known to support is growing. I have had success loading and running programs that were not supported just fine.

13. candy macrumors newbie

You could try File Juicer.

http://echoone.com/filejuicer/

It extracts Flash and images etc from .exe files. I've found it very useful in the past.