.exe opens PhotoShop on iBook G4. Wha?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ltldrummerboy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

OK, here's the deal. I was over at a friend's house installing some Microsoft Office updates on their iBook G4 1.07 Ghz. I noticed that they had installed an old copy of PhotoShop on there. I started digging around the folders and noticed quite a few .exe extensions. Funny thing was, I could see the icons for the files, which I wouldn't have been able to do if they were in Windows .ico format. On a whim I double clicked on the file. 10 seconds later PS opens! I closed the program and did a spotlight search. I found the actual PhotoShop.app file without a problem. The question is, what are those .exe files doing on their computer, and how can the computer use them as shortcuts to the real deal? It had me fooled for a few seconds there. I thought that by some terrible sorcery they had installed Windows PhotoShop on the poor little compy. Ridiculous, I know.

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Yeah - Wha? I would be curious to know what version of Photoshop loaded and what version of Mac OS he has running...

3. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Photoshop uses the .exe extension for some of its batch operations/plugins. For example, I had a folder full of things like "Make 50% Size JPEG.exe" and what-not. :) No worries!