.EXE program not playing ball...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Cibbersicks, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Cibbersicks macrumors member

Cibbersicks

Guys, a little advice if possible please?

http://www.sma.de/en/products/software/sunny-design.html

I need to try and get this program running on my Macbook, however I've tried both Crossover for Mac & Darwine routes, both of which throw up an error and wont play the program, can anyone advise me as to why please?
    Secondly, if these routes will not work at all, will it definately run using Bootcamp? I don't really want to go down this route, due to running a whole different OS and also having viruses etc to worry about. It's a lot of effort to just get one simple little program to run. I don't require Windows for anything at all so I don't want to buy a copy just to run this.

Any help is much appreciated,

Tom

2. simsaladimbamba

You could also run Windows as VM inside Sun's Virtual Box (free) or Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion (commercial).
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac

Btw, even if you use Windows, you could always install a free AV software onto it to protect you from malware, which in return can't damage Mac OS X as they Windows malware can't run on Mac OS X, just like that .exe of yours.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Cibbersicks thread starter macrumors member

Cibbersicks

Both Crossover and Darwine produced an error saying something like "need to install a windows version of Mono to run a .NET exe file"

But I'm afraid I'm new to this concept and I'm unaware as to what that means... Firstly I don't know what Mono is and secondly, how can I install it on OSX if it's a "Windows version"?

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

You probably need the .NET framework. It's needed for a lot of software from small companies..

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. Cibbersicks thread starter macrumors member

Cibbersicks

Thanks for the replies guys, I've tried balamw's option but I'm afraid it didn't achieve the results I'd hoped. It managed to open the program and open a windows style installer wizard, I followed the on screen steps and installed the program, once complete, I tried to open the program, it appeared in the dock, bounced and then disappeared after a couple of seconds. Any ideas?

Secondly, I have reverted back to Crossover to try and get this working. I have again managed to get it to the stage where the proper program icon is being used, but once your try and run the program, it appears in the dock then vanishes.

Could I kindly ask if someone on here who knows more than I do about this stuff could try and download and install the program on their Mac please? Just for demo purposes, I would really appreciate it as it would help me out massively with my new business venture. (btw, I'm using the demo version of Crossover - should that make any difference?)

Sorry to inconvenience anyone, I would just really like to get this simple program running without paying a hideous amount for a copy of Windows... 'It has to be possible!"

Kind regards,

Tom

8. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Sorry but if it needs the .Net framework to run. You will need to run Windows. Copying a couple of .dll files will not make it work.

Sounds like the program tries to start up and then quits because it can't find the .Net Framework Libraries needed to run.