Exe Programm on Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kiffko, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Kiffko macrumors newbie

Yeeeeh i bought my first Macbook Pro today and im starting to figure out all the stuff now.
    But i have one very big issue and i hope you can help me with this.
    First of all, i did use the search function but i didnt find answers to all my questions.
    The problem i have is, that im playing online poker and the plattform im playing on doesnt support macs.
    They told me to run BootCamp on my Mac. Now my questions are:
    1.)The Poker Programm is the only Programm i NEED from windows to run on my Macbook. Is there any other solution than BootCamp?
    2.)If there is not, what programms do i need to buy for BootCamp? A parallel Desktop programm AND Windows?
    3.)Does it make my Mac slower if I do the BootCamp stuff?
    4.)How expensive is it approximately for the Plattform to programm an EXE to be compatibel with a Mac?

I hope you can help me guys, i really like this Mac since im starting to see its advantages, but i need a way to use this Programm on it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. GeJohnO macrumors newbie

1) You could try a virtualization program so that you could run a "virtual" Windows PC inside OSX. For your needs, Sun Microsystems has one called "VirtualBox" that should be fine (and it's free - http://www.virtualbox.org/). Parallels or VMWare cost money, but do provide select additional features.

2) If you don't want to run a "virtual" Windows, you just need a Windows XP/Vista/7 disc and go through the appropriate setup in your BootCamp utility (applications>utilities>bootcamp). It will simply partition your hard drive, and then you choose which system you want to boot in under your startup disc options.

3) No, not that I've noticed. It just designates an amount of space on your hard drive to your Bootcamp partition.

5) I don't know, but there are no option I can think of for running EXE files on a mac. They are two different languages.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

4. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

I really think that while you may enjoy your poker game, it isn't necessarily economical to purchase a copy of Windows to play it.

You would just need a legal copy of Windows, and your restore disks to do this. Bootcamp is essentially dual-booting, so you would restart your computer, and load Windows.

Something like a virtual machine is a program that allows you to run Windows while still in OS X. It is rather memory intense as you're running 2 operating systems at once.

Have you considered looking around, even on Apple's website in the downloads section? Is there any specific reason why you like this poker game specifically? Have you considered an online solution perhaps?

5. Boydbme macrumors member

Boydbme

well, first off. exe files will not run on a mac. plain and simple. they are Windows executable files and only run in the Windows environment.

You have two real options. Either dual boot and run windows on your laptop as if your mac were an actual windows laptop (via bootcamp for free assuming you own a windows install disk)

or, and in my opinion this second options sounds like you since you only want to run this one app, use http://www.virtualbox.org/. you will need a windows install disk for this option too, but you will not need to reboot your computer just to play poker. You will be able to run windows in a box, kinda like an app, on your mac.

let us know if you need any more guidance.

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

This isn't true. You can run exe files on a Mac (or on Linux) using Wine or the above-mentioned commercial version of it called CrossOver Mac. You have to check the wiki to see if your program is supported.

If you are playing professionally you should tell them you are moving on to a site that will support Macs, maybe if they lose enough action they will see that it is in their interest to make their site cross-platform. If you are not playing professionally you should move on anyway but don't expect them to care. It shouldn't be hard for them to use Java instead of an exe to talk to clients if they are a reputable site. If they are instead using the exe to send malware to their customers machines to send spam and become botnet zombies then they will want to keep things as they are. Don't know which group they fall into.

7. Boydbme macrumors member

Boydbme

:rolleyes: my point was you cannot run EXE files on a mac by default. I know it's possible through 3rd party software.. hence the two alternatives i suggested.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Try running your poker program within CrossOver Mac. If that doesn't work I suggest running it within Windows XP in a virtualized environment, using VirtualBox or your hypervisor of choice.

9. Kiffko thread starter macrumors newbie

wow you guys are fast....thanks!
    i will try that crossover stuff and if that doesnt work i will contact you Boydme to get some help for the virtualbox.

Edit:
    I checked the crossoverslist and the poker programm isnt on it.
    The problem is, that the poker plattform is really small so im quite sure that there are no online versions that are compatible with a mac anywhere else. But i would like to go on playing there, since theyre giving me a great deal :D

so actually the only option i have now is doing the virtual box right?
    as i said im new to apple, and i really appreciate your help

10. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

just dont play it lol????

congrats on new macbook :) enjoy

God Bless
    Jesus loves

11. imotox macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure Wine is for the mac (if so, it's free). All you have to do is install it and it is kinda like a mini windows installation. I'd use that if I were you, though since it's free you can not be assured that everything works with it (though everything except office worked for me on Ubuntu).

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The compatibility list for CrossOver is quite small in comparison with the vast number of applications that potentially work or don't work. Provided that the program isn't listed as incompatible when you select to "show all applications" on CodeWeaver's website, I'd say it stands a fair chance of being compatible. From my experience, small programs tend to be more compatible than large programs and suites.

13. Kiffko thread starter macrumors newbie

jongewehr I HAVE TO PLAY IT !!!! lol
    but thanks i will enjoy my :apple:

@bill gates:
    ok i will give it a try then.... but could you give me short advise how? :confused:
    i was on the crossover website now, but dont now how to proceed from now.
    i downloaded it and dragged it to my application folder.....what now?

14. Kiffko thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks guys!!!! :D
    after i dragged crossover to my applications i downloaded the client again and it worked!!!!
    Thank you now i can play again :D
    One more question tho....i downloaded the trial version now of crossover but since it works i of course want to use it more than 30 days.
    Which version do you recommend to buy??

15. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

CrossOver is built on DarWINE - http://darwine.sourceforge.net/

It makes it a little more user-friendly. If an app works in CrossOver, it's likely to work with DarWINE. However, you're likely to find it harder to get things to work than with CrossOver

16. Kiffko thread starter macrumors newbie

ah i will just buy crossover if you think its harder to get along for me with DarWine.
    But which version of crossover am i supposed to take? As i said, i only need it for this one particular program, but they are offering 3 different packages.
    http://www.codeweavers.com/store/
    which one schould i get?

17. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I use CrossOver for an old game (Ultima Online) And even though it is a real game (but a bit old), it still runs without lag or stuttering :). Just installed it as "unsupported software".

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

19. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Since you only need it for that one program, you need CrossOver Games. If you would like to install other Windows programs (and DO check the compatibility list first) you should purchase CrossOver Mac Pro, since it includes CrossOver Games and comes at a slight discount to purchasing CrossOver Mac and Games separately.

20. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The odds are extremely slim your program is supported on Crossover unless it is a mainstream application or game. Several of us mention it for completeness, but you should be prepared to buy a copy of Windows and either use Boot Camp to dual-boot or use virtualization to run Windows and then install your program under this copy of Windows.

21. ethandt macrumors member

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

Just try Crossover or WINE and report back if it DOESN'T work. Then we can tell you to run windows in parallels, vmware fusion, or virtual box, if that doesn't work we can tell you to use boot camp. If that doesn't work, we can tell you to go buy a Dell.
    Ta da! Done!