Executable in mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pocapos, Oct 29, 2007.

1. pocapos macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i want to know if when a download a program in for exemple, downloads.com, i can just click for download and when the download its completed i click in it and the mac does all.. like windows.
    im scared because the plataform of the mac its the same as linux and i dont wanna do a lot of commands just to install a program, so who have a mac can tell me, i have to click and install like windows or have to do command like linux?
    thanks

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Most mac apps come in install packages, in the form of dmg. They are basically disk images, so it would be like inserting a cd into your cd rom. I have yet to have to use any unix to get a program to install on my mac (except for the CS3 clean patch, for which I have to thank the programmers at Adobe :rolleyes:)

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Even though Mac OSX is a UNIX based system, it is a GUI version of UNIX.

Therefore, the short answer to your question is:

Installation of a software package is more or less same- just clicking and following the onscreen instruction (if any). If it is a disk image (dmg) then you just need to mount it.

No need to enter any commands.

I suggest that you search the forums and read up on how to install programs in Mac. They are very simple- and all based on graphical user interface.