Execute an .iso but no DVD to burn it to

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SD-B, Jul 18, 2011.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

I am not new to Mac so much anymore but I need to know if there is a way i can take an .iso that i have, of a program, and set it up on my mac without burning it to DVD first.......i want to do it now and cannot find a dvd that isnt scratched ;-(

is there any way of doing this?

TIA

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Where do you have the file stored? Another Mac? Somewhere else?

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You should be able to mount it just by double-clicking it. Doesn't that work?

4. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

yes, on another mac of mine as well i have a copy of it on an external hard drive i can just plug into the mac in question i wish to install it on

I wasnt aware that i could do that so I shall go try it.........but when you say MOUNT it, does that mean it will install like any other program would or will i be doing this everytme I wish to use it?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Mounting it means it's just like inserting the physical DVD. Once you've finished with it, you unmount (eject) it.

6. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Just remember to actually install the program not just run it from the image. Either run the installer or drag the program to your applications folder.

7. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Ok, got it. Now I understand the meaning of "mounting it" and will take your advice when I do this, in about 30-40 minutes......

thank you VERY much for ALL of your help!!!!!