Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
I am not new to Mac so much anymore but I need to know if there is a way i can take an .iso that i have, of a program, and set it up on my mac without burning it to DVD first.......i want to do it now and cannot find a dvd that isnt scratched ;-(

is there any way of doing this?

TIA

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Where do you have the file stored? Another Mac? Somewhere else?

yes, on another mac of mine as well i have a copy of it on an external hard drive i can just plug into the mac in question i wish to install it on

You should be able to mount it just by double-clicking it. Doesn't that work?

I wasnt aware that i could do that so I shall go try it.........but when you say MOUNT it, does that mean it will install like any other program would or will i be doing this everytme I wish to use it?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Mounting it means it's just like inserting the physical DVD. Once you've finished with it, you unmount (eject) it.

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Just remember to actually install the program not just run it from the image. Either run the installer or drag the program to your applications folder.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Ok, got it. Now I understand the meaning of "mounting it" and will take your advice when I do this, in about 30-40 minutes......

thank you VERY much for ALL of your help!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.