Executing code in an NSString

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by qwertywelch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. qwertywelch macrumors newbie

Hello!

I am retreiving a text file from my web server and loading its contents into an NSString called "latestCode". NSLog tells me that it is getting the right code, but now how do I execute it?

2. dantherevelator macrumors regular

3. qwertywelch thread starter macrumors newbie

Objective C

4. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

While objective-c does allow you to dynamically load frameworks, it does not allow for dynamic execution of arbitrary code. It is not an interpreted language, code must be compiled into a binary object.

-Lee

5. qwertywelch thread starter macrumors newbie

how would I go about compiling one block of code that can be loaded from a web server & executed?

6. dantherevelator macrumors regular

Well, it's not straightforward, and probably impossible on iOS. Objective C must be compiled to run, and I assume this is raw source code, yes?

If it's an OS X app, and you're feeling adventurous, you might look into something like f-script.

7. qwertywelch thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an OS X app. F-script looks like just what I need, thanks!

8. lee1210, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I can point you to objc_loadModules that you can search for... I suppose you could use system or NSTask to invoke gcc, then load the object file with the function mentioned above. This seems quite involved though. Perhaps you could give some background and another method such as distributing a bundle, loading with NSBundle, then executing the new code (though this is still involved) could be suggested? Assuming your end users have a compiler and libraries installed is ill-advised.

-Lee

EDIT: Hadn't really looked at f-script. Looks fancy, and if that will do the job for you it's probably better than the options I mentioned.

9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

You could JIT-compile ObjC code in-process using clang's libraries.