Execution order for Springboard.strings

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bzen, Mar 11, 2012.

1. bzen, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

bzen macrumors member

I am wondering how iOS (5.01) executes the order of various Springboard.strings. For example, say I am using three different .themes in Winterboard and all are setting different string values in the springboard.strings file in their appointed folders, in what order are they carried out?

My question comes from this general process:

I have three .themes all related to text on the lock screen; I want to keep them in separate .themes so I can turn them on an off as needed in Winterboard. Yet, they seem to play off of one another in a way I can't figure out EVEN THOUGH none are dealing with the same string values. I can get them to work individually, but once I put two into action, one or the other will fail to perform correctly, though logically there is no reason that they shouldn't work together.

I am thinking that the problem is that I don't really understand how Springboard actually progresses through the values in the .strings files.

AFTER FURTHER EVAL:

It seems that you get one chance to set springboard.strings for the lock screen; just one pass to get in whatever you want. So, if the first .theme has one string value set it doesn't matter if the next springboard.strings assigns more values to strings (different strings even); only the first springboard.strings remains valid and the rest are ignored. Is my thinking correct on this?

Immy

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Winterboard processes themes in the order you place them in. It goes from top to bottom order in your list.

I've noticed Winterboard doesn't theme some things it used to in springboard.strings and other files must be edited.

3. bzen, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

bzen thread starter macrumors member

That is helpful, thanks. So maybe the problem is elsewhere . . .

Additionally, in the Themes.XAv3Sm folder (where all the varies theme folders are stored) does the process equally run from top folder to bottom folder? Basically, A-theme to Z-theme (being that they are forced into alphabetical order) for those themes dealing with the lock screen?

Immy

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Once again the order is processed in the Winterboard program's list of themes.