Exede Satellite Internet

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
I know it's embarrassing.

Currently, I don't have internet at my house and want it, actually I need it. The only way I get online now is through (unauthorized) tethering on my grandfathered unlimited data ATT plan. While it's nice, it's not really feasible for larger downloads.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this new service yet. The advertised speeds are decent. CNET did an article on it- http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_...ite-broadband-service-youve-been-waiting-for/

here's a link to their plans: http://www.viasatresidential.com/exede/home

Thoughts?

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Satellite is a last resort. High latency, low speeds, data caps, etc.

DSL and cable aren't available at your house?

Skyrim

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Satellite broadband service has been used in emergency system, military communication and others before. This service for civil is expensive. And the network reliability is questionable when amount of users becomes more. But it is a good start.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Satellite is a last resort. High latency, low speeds, data caps, etc.

DSL and cable aren't available at your house?
Nope. I love where I live, but it's rural. I'm lucky enough to get 3 bars of decent 3G service here. Enough to browse comfortably.

The dl/ul speeds sounds decent though. Too good to be true?

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Your 3G speeds are probably going to be faster than any satellite service you can get. What about tethering from your phone to your computer? Or maybe an iPad with 3G service?

Edit: I should have read your post more thoroughly. I see you're already doing the tethering. I dunno, I haven't heard too many good things about sat internet.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Your 3G speeds are probably going to be faster than any satellite service you can get. What about tethering from your phone to your computer? Or maybe an iPad with 3G service?

Edit: I should have read your post more thoroughly. I see you're already doing the tethering. I dunno, I haven't heard too many good things about sat internet.
Phone, yes. They are saying this is different. I was thinking since it was brand new and not a lot of people are using this satellite yet maybe it would be faster.

http://www.viasatresidential.com/exede/explore/faqs

4. Is ViaSat-1’s high capacity the reason for the high speeds?
That is part of the reason. Our new service incorporates new, ground breaking web acceleration technology which dramatically speeds up page load times. So in addition to the much higher speeds enabled by our high capacity satellite, you will experience a much snappier web browsing experience. The combination of ViaSat-1, our web acceleration technology, and equipment is what facilitates these exciting new services.
5. What kind of new things can I do? Is the experience different than previous satellite Internet services?
We’re about to change everything you think about broadband via satellite! With the new Exede service, you can now enjoy the full extent of what the Internet offers:

Watch streaming videos, TV shows and movies with fewer buffering delays
Better video chat with less jitter
Share more photos with friends and family
Download and stream music
Experience exceptionally fast web browsing and email
Connect multiple computers, smart phones, tablet devices and web-enabled TVs
We will continue to roll out enhanced services, such as Voice, over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.