Exending Netgear Router with Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lobstrlovr, Jan 4, 2015.

1. lobstrlovr macrumors newbie

I have a Netgear Router (Rangemax WPN824NA; 8 years old), with fiberoptic/ethernet coming in, and ethernet out to a 21" iMac (running 10.6.8; about 3 years old), all near the middle of the house. At the far end of the house is an old Airport Express, which picks up iTunes from my iMac & MacBook Pro & plays through my old stereo. Other laptops also pick up the Netgear WiFi signal throughout the house. So far so good - everything IN the house works.
    Adjacent to the house, about 50 feet away (in the OPPOSITE direction, away from the old Airport Express), is a stand alone studio - far enough away that it barely picks up any WiFi signal. I'd like to extend WiFi to the studio.
    I just bought a new Airport Express and plugged it in, inside the house, about halfway between the Netgear & the studio. But the AE failed to activate (kept flashing amber). Is it incompatible with the Netgear router, or am I overlooking something? (i.e.: Do I also need to swap up to an Airport Extreme?)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

An AirPort cannot extend a third party router. You would have to connect it by Ethernet to the Netgear and configure it as an access point.

3. lobstrlovr thread starter macrumors newbie

4. eduardrw macrumors 6502

This should work just fine as long as you have the Airport Express connected to the Netgear router via ethernet.
    Try to factory reset the AE and the configure it to create a wireless network with the same SSID , Password and security protocol as the others.