Exercise and Diet

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Feb 14, 2012.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

So, I've been lifting regularly in college with two friends.

I was always told your health was 75% diet, 25% exercise.

Well, my two friends I've been lifting with are absolute beasts. They are ripped, and very much in shape. One of them can curl his own body weight.

But, all they ever eat is junk food. They go out to fast food restaurants all the time, they eat desert food like no other, they use tobacco products regularly, etc.

They DO take Whey protein and one of them adds in creatine, but I just don't get it. While I am seeing results on the weightlifting, I'm not seeing it on my body.

I'm not saying I'm eating incredibly healthy, since I'm in college sometimes it's really difficult to balance schoolwork, exercise, socializing, with a healthy meal, but I do eat a lot healthier than they do. When I am out on campus I always have a bag of unroasted Walnuts or Almonds, and I try to add a serving of vegetables with every dinner.

Is it just genetic disposition or something?

2. elocke macrumors newbie

Lots of it is genetic make up. But also how fast your metabolism is at processing foods and turning proteins into muscle. Keep at it, you'll see improvements. If you stick with the same routine, try to add a few pounds each week-- it's called progressive overload.

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I have the impression that many people change their diet, desperately hoping that it will lead to some kind of improvement with their health. Wether or not their health actually improves doesn't matter much, the belief seems more important.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It sounds like your friends may have lots of muscle, but they are doing irreparable damage to their long term health (think internal organs rather than what you can see). Tobacco products, really?

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

6. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

dont worry OP, justice will be served in the end.

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't think you guys get it, haha. I'm not looking for revenge or pity, or anything like that. These are two great guys and great friends of mine.

I'm just wondering if one workout fits all or if I'm still doing something wrong?

8. Markyboy81 macrumors 6502a

In order to gain muscle mass you have to be in calorie surplus. Although your mates may be eating the wrong types of foods, it seems they are consuming enough calories to gain muscle. You probably need to eat more to grow. Myfitness pal is a good app to track calories.

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The fact that they're gaining muscle doesn't mean they're healthier.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've always heard that's the formula for weight control, not overall health.

For weight control, it mostly boils down to calories in vs. calories out. If your buddies are eating 3,000 calories worth of fast food and desserts a day, but are burning 3000 (or more) between lifting and the amped up metabolism they have from being ripped, they're not likely to gain any weight from fat.

Are you doing the recommended pre/post-lifting supplements? I've got a bunch of fairly buff co-workers that are always chugging protein drinks around 4:30PM before heading to the gym on their way home at 5:00PM, and they're always talking about their "recovery meal" too.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

One workout does NOT fit all. Check with the gym staff you make sure you're using proper form. Form is extremely important. Also, if you use protein shakes, make sure you make them with whole milk. Your body needs the fat to help process the protein.

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

That ain't in any journal I've ever read, though your point about form is definitely true.

OP, how long have you been lifting?

13. Markyboy81 macrumors 6502a

I haven't that about fat either. What I've read is that your post workout drink should contain a high GI carbohydrate, such as dextrose and protein. If it contains fat it will slow down the absorption of the protein, and you don't want this post workout, as it's important for the protein to get to work as quickly as possible.
    However, a milk based protein drink is fine to drink before bed.

14. diane143, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

diane143 macrumors 6502a

One workout does not fit all and not everyone has the genetic capacity to get ripped! I do very well with weights but since I started mountain biking a few years ago, I don't need to lift weights much anymore, and my back, arms and shoulders will still get ripped (providing I am not "overweight). I know people who are very very fit but don't have much muscle definition. Everyone is different.

Also not all diets (by diet I mean nutrition, not a counting calorie diet) fit all. Some people can tolerate more carbs, some more protein. You need to experiment and find what works for you. Just give each methold time to work, it's not an overnight process!

Good luck and congrats on making the effort to be healthy :)

15. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

So they're beasts and eating much more calories than someone who eats "healthy". Guess what, that's just how it works!

Gaining mass is about ingesting more calories than you burn. No amount of lifting alone with help you gain mass, you need to supply fuel to your body to generate said mass with.

Of course, a calorie is a calorie, be it from healthy fruits/vegetables/nuts/proteins or junk. So if you want to gain mass, just eat more calories, something that is quite easily accomplished with junk food. Of course, your body needs vitamins and nutrients in order to be healthy. Being ripped and muscled doesn't mean your body is healthy, just that is has a lot of lean mass.

16. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I've been lifting since about November.

I would ask the gym staff for advice, but... there are none. This is at a little gym provided by our dorms.

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Well given you've only been doing it for 3 months, it's nothing to be concerned about that you're not ripped yet. Although ripped by definition implies having a low body fat percentage. If all your pals are eating is McDonald's, I struggle to believe that's the case. Then again, you're young, it's a possibility.

What's been said before is correct, the way you look is a large part down to what you eat, in addition, it depends on how regularly you train and what kind of training you do. Is it purely weights or just cardio? If you're just looking to gain weight in the short term, it's maybe best to try and give cardio a miss, at least at the gym. Then, fill your fridge with meat, vegetables and sweet potatoes, cook them, and start eating.

Some people find it better eating several (5-6) small meals a day, some people eat 2-3, it doesn't really matter. As long as you are eating sufficient amounts of protein, carbs and fat, you'll grow.

Everybody here will have their own opinions on this stuff as there are no hard and fast rules that work for everyone, but generally, eat more, lift heavier weights (heavy enough but not too heavy) and over a longish (maybe 6-12 months) period of time, you'll see a dramatic change.

18. Melrose, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Genetics plays a big part in the definition of certain muscles, like the Adonis Belt (aka, Sex Belt, ***k Lines, etc); which means you can really only go so far. If you work at it, though, you can get nice definition most anywhere. I don't have good genetics for it - which means a (relatively) less amount of training gives me some nice abs, but I can go whole hog on my chest and barely see it.

However, anybody can put on muscle and become fit and healthy if they train and/or lift properly. And if you're looking to put on muscle, don't just eat - you can't stuff yourself on empty calories. Eat, eat eat... but make it count. Cut down on caffiene, alcohol, sugar and saturated fat as much as you can, and eat more lean meat and vegetables.

Also, fit in cardio; not just weights. You need to keep your heart healthy as well.

:)

This is true.

It's funny how the majority of people equate big muscles with fitness. A LOT of young people jump into working out for the looks, and focus solely on mirror muscles, or they build their chest more than their upper back ("cuz teh chicks dig big pecs!") and only set themselves up for injury.

And just because someone can curl or bench his/her wait several times over doesn't mean he has stamina.

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

^^^ great points

Yoga is a great addition too. Don't lose range of mobility.

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You're not doing it right enough.
    Not a thing.

21. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Are you saying in general? I'd have to disagree.

22. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Range of motion is a thing.

Mobility is a thing.

Range of mobility is not a thing.

23. h00ligan macrumors 68030

24. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

They may look great but if all your eating is junk food and bad stuff nutrient wise it will catch up with your health!

25. beautifulgirl, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

beautifulgirl macrumors newbie

Proper diet and exercise are the mainstays for a healthy lifestyle, although many Americans turn to costly fad diets and exercise programs that fail to provide weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. The basic tenets to gradual weight loss and good health include developing healthy eating habits and increasing daily physical activity.