Exercise app and GPD Tracking

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jjk454ss, Jul 14, 2015.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

i like to hike and use Runkeeper to keep a map of where I've been. If I want to use the Exercise app to track the workout, and also want a map, do I have to use 2 different apps? Or is there a GPS tracking app that will add my workout to the Exercise App used on the watch. Does that make sense?:)

Basically I'd like to use Runkeeper, or something similar, but have it count towards me Exerises and Accheivements.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Use The Workout App on your :apple:Watch for Activity tracking and use RunKeeper (or whatever) on your iPhone for mapping.

3. PilotC150 macrumors member

I don't believe WatchKit allows third-party workout apps to push data into the Activity app yet. Hopefully that will come in the future because I don't like using two apps, either, but I do it because I want the credit for the Move and Exercise rings, but I also want GPS and more granular data than just a whole-working average of pace and heart rate.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Apple missed to boat by not allowing the phone GPS to work WITH the AW.

How hard would that have been to let the phone track your progress on the GPS.

Apple needs to look at what what the Garmin or Fitbit apps are like

5. PilotC150 macrumors member

It does, and this has been pointed out many times:

Straight from https://www.apple.com/watch/technology/

Although the way it's worded doesn't make it clear about whether it ALWAYS uses the GPS, or only during workouts that don't have steps.

6. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Figured this was the case, but thanks for confirming it. Hopefully it will be updated soon to work. Best would be an Apple app for mapping your runs/walks.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Sorry but as a runner even a cheap GPS watch like the Surge will track and map your run. The Apple watch WILL NOT! It is ashamed as many workout/run with their iPhone and Apple could have added the GPS from the phone for mapping your run. Apple choose not to do so and is would not have taken much to do it!

I do not need to read Apple little ad. I own the watch and know it will not do this. Being a pilot from 18 year on in my life, GPS is a nice thing and should not be wasted when available.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Maybe in OS2 but them maybe not.

9. Ridder macrumors newbie

My wife runs with het  Watch and uses Runkeeper app on her watch (icw iPhone).
    She's in the US right now and I can see her activities incl. maps in Runkeeper.

It must be easy to use both apps together: if it's just a little hassle she won't be using it....and she's using it.
    Must be easy.
    Dunno if you have to start Health app separately....guess not...that would be to much of a hassle.
    Also...dunno if she keeps track of her activities in Health app.

I'm not a pilot, don't like running and my  Watch is still in the US....so I'm not really concerned.

10. Julien, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is correct. :apple:Watch uses GPS to measure and calibrate the accelerometer for accuracy but doesn't do GPS Mapping.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

wOS 2 will allow 3ed party Apps to write to Activity. Come on September.:cool:

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How do you know she's using both apps? She could be just using Runkeeper by itself, and you'd see her runs.

13. Ridder macrumors newbie

Don't know.....but I do know my wife......I think....

When it's not as easy as sliced bread, she won't use it.

When she has to start 2 apps before a workout.....that's too much work.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If she is using RunKeeper on her :apple:Watch and NOT using the Workout App too then she is not getting any Activity App info.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

She would get some Activit credit, though. Just not as much as she would get if she run the Workout app. Also, no heart rate info without the Workout app.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

And my whole point is how easy it would have been for Aplle to allow the iPhone with its own GPS to do this mapping. I do not even hear of it in OS2. Let all hope but until then it takes two apps running to do mu runs which I like to map.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Correct, a slight brain fart. However as you correctly stated you will miss a lot of info. I will be nice when wOS 2 allows 3ed party apps full access so you won't miss out.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In wOS 2 you will be able to run Nike+, Stravia or RunKepper or... and get HR and FULL Activity credit. You can just disregard the Workout App for running once Apps are wOS 2 compliant.

19. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Looking forward to this. Thanks

20. Ridder macrumors newbie

That's in wOS2 beta3??

21. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

It probably is, but would need to be added by the developer to work.

22. PilotC150 macrumors member

You know that for a fact? You know that the Watch isn't using the iPhone's GPS to track the run and logging the information? Just because they don't provide you with a fancy little map of where you've been doesn't mean it's not using the GPS and logging the information. Sure, we'd all like the map, but to say that since there isn't map is proof-positive that the Watch doesn't use the GPS is absolutely incorrect.

23. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

1) Don't have oWS 2 beta 3
    2) There are no Apps that are wOS 2 ready to test anyway to know.

24. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not defending Newtons Apple but they clearly say GPS Mapping and GPS tracking which the :apple:Watch doesn't do. Also there is no TCX file export feature to even see if any GPS points are recorded (which I don't think they are).