Exercise Bike

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JediAlejandro, Jun 1, 2015.

1. JediAlejandro macrumors member

JediAlejandro

Quick question (bare in mind I am yet to receive my Apple Watch and have never used fitness apps, so if this question is stupid/has a obvious answer then I do appolgises).

Will the Workout app work when you use a Exercise bike? The problem is I have read it uses GPS to track your location and movement but obviously you don't move on a bike. If I left my iPhone in my pocket will that contribute at all?

Side Note: Just started using one too day and have yet to look for a app to go along with it, so if anyone can recommend one that will be great! I stupidly left my iPhone on charge so it didn't even track my workout us the M8 processor!

Thanks in advance,

Alexandros. :)

2. flur macrumors 68000

It does have an indoor cycle mode, so yes, I'd think it would use your HR to calculate calorie burn.

3. anez macrumors 6502

anez

This is the Workout I use most and have no problems with it recording. My phone is mostly on the table while I am using it, too. You definitely don't need location movement for it to register.

The readings it gives you are Time, Active Calories, Resting Calories, Total Calories, and Average Heart Rate. Just remember to hit "Save" on the Watch or you won't get the credit!

4. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

What I don't understand is why it doesn't support jump roping, one of the oldest exercises in the book.

5. JediAlejandro thread starter macrumors member

JediAlejandro

Thanks! Will need to check this out when it comes!

6. JediAlejandro thread starter macrumors member

JediAlejandro

Ahh ok, thank you. I look forward to using it when it comes. And I didn't realise about the save feature. That's quite unusual, consdering Macs are famous for their auto save feature! But not a biggy, hopefully will get my watch in the next few weeks!

7. JediAlejandro thread starter macrumors member

JediAlejandro

You should email them about tbis, it's a very valid point, and a valid exercise. Unfortunately I'm too uncoordinated and only mange like two jumps before falling over! :'D

8. flur macrumors 68000

You can use "other" for this - the movement of your wrists + your HR (which I've found gets quite high with jumping rope) should get you plenty of exercise credit. You'll also get a strong heart and nice calves. ;)

9. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'll check it out tomorrow