Exercise Tracking?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by garygmar, Apr 28, 2015.

1. garygmar macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how exercise tracking works? I worked out on a treadmill for 45 minutes yesterday and I only received 10 minutes for exercise credit. If I look at the Activity App, I see the time and my average heart rate was 130 bpm. I am 55 years old, so my target range should be 115 - 140. (This is based on 220 - 55 = 165 max, 70% for the min and 85% for the max). So, its seem like my heart rate should of been high enough to fall into the exercise category.

I trying to complete my daily rings, so I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the exercise ring works.

Thanks,
    Gary

2. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Hey Gary,
    My first question would be whether or not you started the workout app when you started your exercise? It seems to register better when you do that.

3. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

You have to start the app to track it properly. Otherwise it will be inaccurate. Sadly the exercise app really drain the battery. 45 minutes running knocks it down by around 20% (in my case).

4. PGD123 macrumors newbie

Did you save the work out?

The same thing happened to me. After you stop a workout, you have to scroll to the bottom and hit save for you to get credit in the rings.

5. garygmar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I started the exercise app and then ended it when it was completed. Today, I went for a outside walk for 45 minute and the exercise app logged 32 minutes. So, maybe I screwed up on the treadmill workout.

I'll try it again later or tomorrow. I'm just trying to figure out what "triggers" the exercise ring to register.

6. simonx314 macrumors regular

After you hit "End", you have to scroll down and also tap "Save". This is dumb, I figure Apple would just assume you would want to save the workout that you deliberatly chose to track.