Exercise when short on time

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Leareth, May 17, 2009.

1. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

So since January my life has turned a little busy

working ten hours per day , two regular 5 hour shifts with 2.5 hours between them
    which is just enough time to get home grab food and quick shower and head back out. I spend about 14 hours of the day going to, being at, and going from work .

This means I don't have enough time (or energy) for regular length workouts.
    So I do little bit I can:
    -I walk everywhere that reasonable
    -run up and down the stairs instead of taking elevator
    -keep dumbbells by one of my desks to do arm work outs while waiting for computer to do analysis.
    -have stability ball as chair.
    -do wall push ups when brushing teeth etc.

what I am looking for is tips to squeeze in little exercises during the day.

Share your tips and exercises with me.

2. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Do you have room where you live to skip (jump rope)? It is great for cardio and you can do it while you watch TV.

Try doing squats while you brush you teeth. And lunges.

And If you are strong enough, try switching to regular press ups. These work lots of muscles and take no time at all – you can do a set in under a minute easily.

You can also do tricep dips off of your chair.

Ideally though I would try and set aside at least 20 mins in the morning and give yourself a short routine of bodyweight exercises. This way you could perform them in your own home without having to use up time traveling to a gym. Squats/Lunges/dips/push ups/sit ups are a good start.

Good luck!

3. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

I do squats and lunges , just have a habit of rolling my ankle.
    Rope jumping is awesome exercise , I do that between shifts since I always sweat when do.
    The chair tricep dips I have forgotten about. So I will add that.
    I do put aside time each weekday when I wake up to do pushups, crunches, burpies and jmping jacks before I jump in the shower.
    On the weekend I have my regular workouts. Just don't feel fit.

4. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Wow, sounds like you do a fair bit already :)

Maybe something else is making you feel unfit. Are you getting enough sleep? Maybe your diet? Stress can really affect your health...

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Use this online tabata clock to do tabata intervals of resistance training (push ups, kettlebell swings (use a dumbbell or heavy pan), tricep dips). Tabata intervals are one of the most effective forms of high intensity training and can allow you to get many of the benefits of cardio from four minutes of resistance training.

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

There are lots of 20-30 minute interval workouts you can do.

Spinervals has some short bike ones, and then you can probably find some free Nike+ intervals in the iTunes store. I got a 20 minute 10k training one a while back and it was great.

7. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

problem is I dont have 20-30 minute stretches of free time. My schedule is pretty much timed to the minute right now. if I want more time is comes out of my sleep time. which is 8 hours exactly right now.

During work however I do have periods when cant do anything work related so can do exercise, but cant really work up a sweat.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Burpees are great, along with jumping jacks etc. Skipping if you've got the space and clothing. Wrist ball exerciser / grip exerciser perhaps? Are you looking for cardio or weight exercises?

9. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Also, I'd highly recommend This
    Which is also a lot of fun

10. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

yep is fun, but not exactly appropriate for work :p

also I don't own a TV at home.

11. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

more of weights, since cardio stuff hard to do when wearing scrubs or bunnysuit. :eek:

I do have grip exercisers, the powerweb things. maybe ought to bring them to work and use there.

I have those little weighted exercise balls, dumbells, barbells, elastic bands etc.

Looking for ideas to use them creatively, in limited space/time

beyond the boring bicep curls...

12. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

I do knee bends in the shower, and leg lifts while waiting for my morning bread to toast every day. I have started parking farther away from doors everywhere I go, so that every day I probably get about 3000 extra steps in. These aren't meant to replace a good aerobic workout, but they are now part of my routine every day, even when I am too busy for other exercise. I'm looking for two or three more other little exercise moments to throw into my day ...

13. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

True, but you might be able to use it on your Mac at home, maybe you'll find the answer Here

;)