Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Hey all

I have the 38mm SS with Black Classic Buckle, and I also got a 42mm Sport w/Blue to check out the size.

Since I've been lazy, I haven't returned the sport model yet. I was thinking I could probably use it as my dedicated workout watch, BUT then I found out you can only have one watch paired. Pairing takes a while, so it's not realistic to keep unpairing and pairing.

So, that leaves me with my 38mm SS watch with the leather buckle. I kind of want to use it for when I play tennis, workout, etc. But probably getting it sweaty with the leather band is bad for it?

I could pick up a sport band for it, right? Then I'm afraid of the constant swapping of the bands. Damn.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Hey all

I have the 38mm SS with Black Classic Buckle, and I also got a 42mm Sport w/Blue to check out the size.

Since I've been lazy, I haven't returned the sport model yet. I was thinking I could probably use it as my dedicated workout watch, BUT then I found out you can only have one watch paired. Pairing takes a while, so it's not realistic to keep unpairing and pairing.

So, that leaves me with my 38mm SS watch with the leather buckle. I kind of want to use it for when I play tennis, workout, etc. But probably getting it sweaty with the leather band is bad for it?

I could pick up a sport band for it, right? Then I'm afraid of the constant swapping of the bands. Damn.

I think you're going to have to make that call. I probably wouldn't work out in a leather band though.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The leather isn't water resistant so a bad idea. You should get the sport band for exercise purposes and don't be afraid to swap out on a regular basis. It's designed for it and the warranty will cover it if a defect surfaces.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
i did a two hour workout with my SS w/ BLL yesterday and I sweat profusely. It was only one workout but the band held up quite well.

When I finished working out, I wiped the band off with a towel and noticed the band didn't soke up any of my sweat. It was as dry as it was before I started the workout. And it didn't stink either.

My theory is because the leather loop bracelet has the magnets inside of it and not completely soft all the way through like normal leather bands, it won't get drenched when it makes contact with liquid.

I'm still going to make it a habit to use my sport band when I work out as soon as it arrives though. The point of my reply was to tell you, you PROBABLY don't have to worry about doing a workout in your leather band if you forget your sport at home every once in a while.

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I have the same strap, but on a 42mm SS. It gets super gross when I go for a run or whatever. I don't think it will hold up well over time.

Hoping I can get ahold of a sport band soon, this lack of supply is BS.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Just agreeing with others here. Sweat has been hard on any leather band I have had.

First thing I did when I ordered my SS watch with BCB was to order a sport band too. Switch on the weekends, then back for work.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
I do with the milanese and it does not seem to be hurting it, if you want a nicer-looking alternative than the sport for exercise than that might be worth a look.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I've done 5 or so workouts with my leather band, but nothing overly sweaty (Pilates, easy runs). The band has held up just fine, but I'll be happy when my sport band gets here on Tuesday. Once that gets here, I'll hit the leather band with a nice leather cleaner and conditioner to clean off any lingering sweat and keep the leather soft.

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Figured as much guys, thanks.

I WISH the stores already stocked the bands. This is crazy!

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
It's all personal philosophy, but I would say USE IT! Break it in, sweat on it. Work some character into it :eek: What, is it destined to be handed down as a family heirloom or something? I work out in my leather band all the time. It's fine. I'd even argue good for the band to loosen it up and make it my own. Although I prefer the BSB just because it is more supple and has more give, I would not consider the classic buckle leather band dainty and in need of handling with kid gloves. Besides, in a few months when nice third party bands come calling you'll probably move on to something more tuned to your liking anyway. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.