Exernal Monitor Woes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mosscow, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Mosscow macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I've got a question for all you Mac Lovers -

When I use a MacBook Pro (running Leopard) with an external monitor in the extended desktop mode, I often drag applications over there to save space. When I unplug my laptop from the monitor to get up and leave, the programs STAY on the external monitor and my MBP can't bring up the applications. Essentially, the laptop is frozen, and I have to restart to "wake" up the programs stuck out in NeverNeverLand.

Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have a remedy? This never used to happen to my iBook that had the extended desktop hack installed on it... The iBook just brought the windows back where they were supposed to be.

:confused:

Thanks for reading!

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I have had this happen also. Potential solutions:
    - unplug the display before shutting down ( I have found that putting to sleep while removing the DVI can mess this up)
    - detect monitors (I have display prefs in the menu bar for this)

3. Mosscow thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say "detect monitors" - you mean select in the Displays menu icon "Detect Displays" before you unplug the DVI?

Thanks ScottyK9

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

yeah, but try it after you unplug the DVI

5. Mosscow thread starter macrumors newbie

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Im on tiger and when I unplug the Mini-dvi -> VGA the screens and apps open in the other screen jump over to my laptop screen!

Maybe its something they didnt think of in Tiger or maybe intel-ish thing?

Maybe post something on apple support see what they come up with!

7. hydrosolar macrumors newbie

Gather windows

i have had this happen to me as well, but there is a simple solution. open up the displays menu in system preferences and hit gather windows. this should pull all you windows back to your main display. although it is still a little inconvenient it should save you a restart.

8. Mosscow thread starter macrumors newbie

Hydrosolar, AceArchie - you guys are great... Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll give 'em a whirl! (my friend is the actually the one that owns the computer...)