exFAT partition not visible in Fusion

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I have an external disk half formatted in HFS+ (Mac OS Extended; Case-sensitive, journaled) and the other half formatted exFAT. I can view both partitions in the Mac disk utility but the exFAT partition is not visible in fusion 4. Is there anyway that I can make this exFAT partition visible?

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
I have an external disk half formatted in HFS+ (Mac OS Extended; Case-sensitive, journaled) and the other half formatted exFAT. I can view both partitions in the Mac disk utility but the exFAT partition is not visible in fusion 4. Is there anyway that I can make this exFAT partition visible?
Mac OS X supports exFAT natively since 10.6.5.

Do you mean you cannot see your external disk exFAT partition on a Mac OS X virtual machine running under VMware Fusion 4??

Last edited:

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I have OSx 10.8 and windows 7 in boot camp which I access through fusion 4. In fusion, when looking at my computer in windows 7, I'm unable to see the exFAT disk partition. I originally split the external drive into two partitions so that I can backup data created in either OSx or windows 7.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
I have OSx 10.8 and windows 7 in boot camp which I access through fusion 4. In fusion, when looking at my computer in windows 7, I'm unable to see the exFAT disk partition. I originally split the external drive into two partitions so that I can backup data created in either OSx or windows 7.
Did you install the vmware tools?
The workaround would be to add a shared folder to your vm, so you can access the exFAT natively from your mac to read the files and copy them to Windows through the shared folder...

Last edited:

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
In OSx under sharing in system preferences I set file sharing on and added the bootcamp backup disk to the list of shared folders and I have it set to share with everyone. However, the parition is still not seen in windows 7 in fusion. Is there another setting in OSx or windows that must be altered to allow windows to see this partition in fusion?