exFAT reliability

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by monkeybagel, Feb 14, 2013.

1. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Has anyone been running an exFAT file system for any length of time and determined its reliability? Thought about storing some .vmdk files on a larger drive to share between Windows x86_64 and OS X and wanted to see if anyone has any long term experience with such.

2. JimT1701 macrumors member

I have a 2TB drive I use for storing Blu-ray backups formated using exFAT. I have been using this drive for at least 6 months with no issues. Recently I have been using this format a lot especially for data i share between Windows and Mac. I did install the read-only HFS driver on my Windows box also but exFAT is good for reading and writing between my two computers.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

The only problem I have had on occasion, is a dropping out for no apparent reason from time to time of an exFat vol. I've never had any trouble with a Flash Drive in exFat, but normal drives, occasionally. Nothing real serious though.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I haven't found backup software on either OS X nor Windows that will back up an exFAT volume.

On the Windows 7 side, the OS would occasionally put the exFAT drive into read-only mode, claiming there were errors and that a diskcheck would have to be performed before write capability was restored. Every time I would do a disk check, no errors would be found and write access was restored.

So I never had any actual errors and never lost any files, but this was both worrying and annoying, especially since my backup methods wouldn't work on it.