exFAT

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cube, Jan 12, 2010.

1. cube macrumors G5

OK, the first SDXC products have been shown at CES.

Now we need exFAT support in Mac OS X.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why?

What are SDXC products and why does it mean OSX has to adopt exFAT?

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

SDXC is the latest in the line of specifications for SD flash memory cards. First there was SD, then SDHC not SDXC. Basically it allows for higher capacity and faster SD cards. That said whilst there were a few cards shown at CES there were not many devices to actually use them in. There is probably at least a year before this becomes an issue. Possibly more: if you buy a digital camera that uses SDXC and connect it via USB to your Mac then it won't matter if the Mac understands SDXC or not: it talks to the camera via one of two protocols and the format of the underlying storage is handled by the camera.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ok thanks.

Looks like we'll see a usb3 port before sdxc support if any.

I suppose until it (if) becomes mainstream apple isn't going to move on this.

5. cube thread starter macrumors G5

That some cameras allow you to access the contents of the card via a protocol is no excuse.

The Mac should support exFAT to allow the use of card readers and cameras which present themselves as a USB mass storage device.

There were several cameras shown with this technology.

The MSRP of the cards starts at $400. :eek:

6. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Microsoft has not published the exFAT specification, has a patent pending, and has established a commercial licensing scheme.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think that OSX should support it when you can actually buy the product. I imagine that if it gets popular (this is really not guaranteed yet) Apple will add support via a 10.6.x update.

If Apple choose not to or take too long support can certainly be added by third parties, most likely via MacFuse.

8. cube thread starter macrumors G5

The cards will ship in February. I don't know about the cameras.

I still haven't seen an SDXC reader.

The SDHC specification stops at 32GB. There are already 32GB cards.

The Compact Flash specification stops at 128GiB, and there are already 64GB cards.

SDXC will succeed just because it shares the same physical form factor as SD, like SDHC (which required the change from FAT16 to FAT32).

9. alexfromgermany macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I was not able to connect a Panasonic HDC-TM707 with a 64GB Panasonic SDXC card to a new MacBook i5. The MacBook is not able to detect the card - neither in the camcorder and also not in the SD card slot of the Macbook 8-(( There is no way to work with these SDXC cards. A 32GB SDHC works well.

Alex (alexfromgermany)

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So the camera doesn't show up in Image Capture? I'd not expect it to show in the Finder...

11. alexfromgermany macrumors newbie

Exactly. Kind of "The data medium is not readable. Do you want to format OR ignore?" message pops up. In case that I format the medium (i.e. the SDXC card in the camcorder that is connected to the MBP via USB), I receive afterwards an error message from the camcorder (asking me whether he should format the card). For the moment it seems that there is No Mac support for the new SDXC cards; the SDHC cards (up to 32GB) on the other hand work well.