exhausted battery ok if using adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swamp_cabbage, Jan 27, 2010.

1. swamp_cabbage macrumors newbie

i got a penryn mbp whose battery i should have replaced when the program was running but didnt.

like coppola's "Jack" its aging way too quickly. in about 2 yrs it's down to 5% battery capacity in only 80 or so cycles.

as i use it as a desktop replacement, i run it almost exclusively run it off the adapter, which probably helped to screw the battery.

is it ok to have a nearly dying battery in the mbp? if the current capacity runs down to 0 will my machine be unusable until i get a new battery?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you're right that you probably screwed the battery by leaving it plugged in all the time.
    Yes, you can still run off the adapter with the battery in it, as Apple doesn't recommend running without the battery.
    Yes, you should replace your battery and follow Apple's guidelines for keeping it in good condition.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

<<scratches head>>

If you:

A) Are still in Applecare
    B) Have less than 300 cycles (on the non unibody penryn mbp)
    C) Have less than 80% capacity left available after a "full" charge

then D applies to you, which is:

D) A free replacement.

I've already had one replaced like this. My new one is under 80 cycles and is hovering around 82-79 percent. I took my SSD out and planned to go to the applestore, but when I turned it back on and restarted coconut battery I was greeted with 81% life :( But it sounds like you no longer have applecare?

4. swamp_cabbage thread starter macrumors newbie

woah, fast replies, thanks.

it's not in applecare, and out of warranty to boot. but b and c apply

i called apple support and they said i'd have to pay for a new one.

i guess i just got to cough up the cash for a new one? if i do, buying straight from apple seems a little steep. any recommended sites to buy my new one from?

5. MoTo77 macrumors member

My daughter had her four year old battery in a MB replaced free for the SECOND time at an Apple Store last week. It swelled up, and she told them that she thought that it was dangerous. YMMV.